Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 
zacheyp

My first venture into the Betta breeding

So this is my first venture into Betta breeding. Attached is a picture of my female. I believe she is a crowntail but I'm not 100 % sure. If she is should I purchase a male that is a crowtail or are there other type that would look decent? Thx
Attached Images

zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Yes she is a crowntail.

For crowntails there are actually different "kinds". There is a delta crowntail (which I believe may be your girl), who has a lesser spread of the caudal than a halfmoon crowntail (who has 180 degree spread).

I can't tell the rays on her from this picture. You do not want to mix crowntail with ANY other tailtype, except back to crowntail to avoid messy ugly fins. Because you have just been starting, it is not suggested to try other combos just yet!

Try to find a male with a wider spread. I lack pictures on here to show you a double ray, four ray, etc... But basically you want a male with very good fins. Crowntail is a harder tailtype to breed due to their spikey fins ;)
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #3 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Yes she is a crowntail.

For crowntails there are actually different "kinds". There is a delta crowntail (which I believe may be your girl), who has a lesser spread of the caudal than a halfmoon crowntail (who has 180 degree spread).

I can't tell the rays on her from this picture. You do not want to mix crowntail with ANY other tailtype, except back to crowntail to avoid messy ugly fins. Because you have just been starting, it is not suggested to try other combos just yet!

Try to find a male with a wider spread. I lack pictures on here to show you a double ray, four ray, etc... But basically you want a male with very good fins. Crowntail is a harder tailtype to breed due to their spikey fins ;)
So any type of CROWNTAIL would work right? Also I'm not sure about the coloring on my male. Thoughts? Thx
Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Any type of crowntail will get you more crowntails... But to improve form you want to breed to a crowntail with a better spread.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #5 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Any type of crowntail will get you more crowntails... But to improve form you want to breed to a crowntail with a better spread.
by better spread you mean wider/ larger fins?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Exactly. Have you seen a "halfmoon"? There are crowntails with that spread... Which'll make the fry outcomes look better :)

Yes, any crowntail with result in crowntails. For the color, depends what you are going for.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #7 
zacheyp

Quote:
Exactly. Have you seen a "halfmoon"? There are crowntails with that spread... Which'll make the fry outcomes look better :)

Yes, any crowntail with result in crowntails. For the color, depends what you are going for.
not really sure what I am going for lol I guess soemthing unique
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Just make sure you have homes for them.

One of the important factors of breeding is the willingness to "cull" which also may include putting deformed fry down. Breeding isn't easy - and you should have everything ready beforehand to avoid getting yourself into a rut.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #9 
zacheyp

Quote:
Just make sure you have homes for them.

One of the important factors of breeding is the willingness to "cull" which also may include putting deformed fry down. Breeding isn't easy - and you should have everything ready beforehand to avoid getting yourself into a rut.
this is something that I have in fact put a good bit of thought into. I will probably remove a large portion of the eggs after breeding because I just wont have space for them all
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Actually, I don't recommend removing the eggs. Knowing some people's luck those are the "would have lived/not been deformed fry. I cull at about 4 weeks, when they are bigger and show problems like bent spines, chronic issues, etc. most people's spawns are between 1 and 80, especially the first time around where it definitely tends to drop to low numbers.