Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

2 week vacation

I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks in June and I got one of my neighbors to watch my fish. I figured she wouldn't have to come every day so I told her twice a week. If she's going to feed twice a week, how many pellets should she give them at each feeding? I usually feed 2 pellets twice a day. Should she go with more than 2 pellets at each feeding? I don't want to compensate for them not being fed every day by feeding too much at one time. Any advice or tips are welcome. Thanks!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #2 
froglady

Im not sure dramaqueen I think the 2 twice a day would be best to stick by. but I hope people here have some ideas for you.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I didn't want her to have to come over twice a day since she works and has a pretty busy life.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #4 
froglady

well I guess every other day she could. it just seems like it would be hard on the fish to change the routine pattern, but you could try more in one day.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, I don't know how the change in routine will affect them. I guess I'm an overly anxious betta parent. I'm already suffering from separation anxiety. lol This trip may not happen anyway if my brother's job ends before we go. He's working in Florida and invited us down there.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #6 
LaniBaby

can she do once a day, 4 pellets? i've done 4 pellets every morning for all my dudes and they've always seemed fine. Although, after we discussed it, i've been trying out either 2 or 3 in the morning and the remainder in the afternoon as a snack. :P

Maybe they can do 4 pellets in the morning every other day. It's not optimal as compared to their current regimen, but i suspect it'll sustain them. Maybe it'll be like a little betta detox. a 2 week cleanse. :)
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I guess I'll end up having her feed 4 pellets twice a week. Its better than nothing.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #8 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I have a different opinion on vacation feedings. I feel it's better to underfeed than overfeed. I think it will be totally fine to have her come just twice a week. Something you might want to consider doing is to start feeding them just once a day going forward and then about a week prior to your leaving feed them just twice a week. You'd be "conditioning" them for the gap between meals so it won't seem unusual for them while you are gone to be eating less.

Four pellets per meal would be too much for my bettas. I'd rather they be underfed and conditioned for it than to worry that four pellets might cause a constipation problem. JMHO...

PS. I love Florida! I hope the trip doesn't fall thru and that you're able to go.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I may ask her to come 3 times a week. I'm not going to ask her to do water changes because I feel it would be asking too much to change water on 6 containers.Their water would be changed right before I leave and right when I come back.Less food would be less waste.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #10 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Considering they are in small containers all the more reason to feed them much, much less. I really think that's your best option.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote