Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #1 
Spode

How much flaring/movement is normal?

Right, I'll start from the beginning.

Ordered a betta from aquabid, he arrived from Thailand extremely quickly, so quickly in fact he arrived before the tank and other bits I'd ordered from a company in the UK (where I live)

Anyway, he arrived on Wednesday in good health, a little stressed from the journey I'd imagine, but active. I legged it to the nearest pet supplies place, and bought a heater and some water dechlorinater, and set up a makeshift tank using a large plastic mixing bowl. He just seemed grateful to be out of his plastic bag to be honest, and gobbled up the food I gave him.

I woke up today and went to check on the little chap (haven't named him yet) and he'd already started on a bubblenest! I took this as a good sign, and was happy he seemed comfortable in his temporary home. But, as luck would have it, the tank arrived today. Got it all set up, water at the right temperature etc, and went about moving him into it.

Now, to get to the point, I felt pretty bad moving him out of his home, poor thing seemed quite content. Move him I did though, but it seemed to have stressed him a bit, he's zipping around the tank and flaring quite a lot, so my question is this: how much flaring/movement is normal? Should I be worried I've stressed him too much?

Also, any name suggestions?

First time owner in case it wasn't obvious!

Tried taking a few pics of him, but with him moving around so much it was quite hard! You look healthy enough?

ZOOOOM!

Hiding.

Last edited by Spode; 05-07-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #2 
Campbell

Mine did the same thing. He was in a half gallon vase the first few days, and then I got him a 5 gallon. The first 3 days or so he seemed really stressed, but now he loves it. They might not like it at first, but it;s much better in the long run.
He's beautiful by the way. Sorry I'm terrible with names though.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's very pretty!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #4 
Nataku

Nice looking black devil you have there.
It's not uncommon for a betta to act strange the first few days in their new home. Some fish just seem really excited by the fact that they have so much room to move around in now. I wouldn't be terribly worried about it. Some bettas are just naturally more active than others. I have a couple males that spend their days doing laps and zipping about their tanks, I've had them several months and they've never 'settled'. I guess some never do. I have others that tend to be more laid back and like to take up perches on leaves and decorations.

I positively horrid in the ways of naming things, so I'll leave those sorts of suggestions up to someone else.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #5 
Spode

Thanks for the reassurance :)

I'm probably just fussing, amazing how quickly you become attached to the little things
Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #6 
LaniBaby

how about "grant" ? or "Spike?"
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #7 
LaniBaby

oh oh! '"Lucifer" or maybe "Azriel" like the cat from the Smurfs! ( i like naming things...) Or something exotic like "Quinoa."
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #8 
Spode

He's a lot more settled now, yay

I have a relative called Grant, might be a bit weird to name him that!
Not sure about Lucifer or Azriel, he might look a bit evil in photos, but he's far too cute for an evil name!

A friend of mine has dubbed him Albert, or Albi for short, it actually seems to be sticking...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like Albert or Albi.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #10 
onekatietwo

I've only had mine for a couple weeks or so, but he seems really happy and healthy and he is ALWAYS racing around and flaring. Maybe it will keep him from getting fat?

Haha.

Anyway, your Betta has some great colors! Wow!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote