Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
carlos puron

are ten gallons a small place for a sorority?

I did a thread asking for advice for a tank for my little cousin well got a ten gallon with some tetras something went wrong and one of them died she wanted a female betta so I got it gfor her now she wants more females she was doing research and she want a sorority the question is isn't the tank kind of small? I'll get her some plants and maybe some driftwood I ordered some indian almond leaves for my self so I May give her some for her tank she's been dedicated with maintenance and stuff so I want to know if I have to give her another tank or if the one she has now would be fine a bigger would be kind f hard because of the space where she has the tank but there's two options one figured something out abut space two forget about sorority so if it could be possible on the ten gallon we'll go for it

Tank Is a ten gallon with filter heater light and airpump now she has two serpae tetras and one female betta I know that I have to add at least three for a good sorority but I'm concerned about the tank space

Well thanks for reading
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 
Mar

I have a 10 gallon sorority, and it's fine. Right now, looking at it, I really feel as if they'd appreciate a 20 gallon + more though.

However, if a 10 gallon is all you have, then just make sure it's heavily planted/decorated and give the bettas the opportunity to claim their own territory. I wouldn't go over 5-6 females in a 10 gallon. I'm lucky, cause I have a gentler group. Sure, in the beginning they were all about fin ripping and tearing, but once their pecking order was established, I hadn't seen a rip in any of them.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #3 
carlos puron

Nice if I do 3 would that be ok ?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #4 
carlos puron

Like three females in total and the tetras or should I go for the four?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #5 
Mar

No, it should be 4 minimum, and some even say 5 to spread the aggression.
That shouldn't be a problem for you though :p Buying female bettas get addicting and soon you'll have no space for more!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #6 
Mar

Also, those tetras should be kept in schools of 6+.
They are also known to fin-nip. If you decide to school those tetras, I really think you shouldn't do a sorority.

So unless you find a way to give away those tetras, get a new tank, etc , you should think about a community instead of a sorority.

Last edited by Mar; 07-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #7 
carlos puron

I'll rehome the tetras on my 55 gallons I know they are schooling fish I have 3 different kinds of tetras in my big tank along with a male betta
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #8 
Mar

Awesome! Okay, sure! Make sure you have proper lighting, gravel, nutrients and lots of plants. Also decorations. Can't wait to see your sorority, post pics once you're all settled in!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #9 
carlos puron

Sure I'll do now that I know I can we'll go get plants and everything this weekend she's the one that has to choose it's for her
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #10 
carlos puron

Well once she knew she could have a sorority in her tank she couldn't wait till the weekend so we started with this no she has 6 females in there and they're living happy no one messes with the others any way we'll go for some more decor this weekend everything is been chosen by her since is her tank a quick question the guy that gives advice at petco said that he has 16 females in a fully planted ten gallon he said that is better for them to reduce stress what do you think isn't it too much fish in a little space any way I kind of trust him it seems like he knows about fish he has helped me a couple of times when I was starting my community aquarium and he recommended me the betta I have in my 55 he said that that was a Pacific fish and yes he's been doing god with my tetras idk for now that's the sorority
Attached Images