Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #1 
Thelittlemermaid

Exclamation Please help! I don't know what's wrong!

My poor little Saya. Sheís a female veiltail, and Iím not sure if the brown bordering on her fins is finrot or just coloring (thatís what the salesperson said, but I was going to buy her anyway. It was love at first sight. hahaha) I found this questionnaire on another personís forum on their sick betta.

Housing
What size is your tank?
10 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
~78
Does your tank have a filter?
yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
Diva, the female crowntail (Iíve had her for a few months). Saya used to attack her a lot until I put her into a timeout tank (3/4 gallon) for a few days so I could wait for the divider to come in the mail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Bettamin and the occasional freezedried bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish?
A sprinkle (~1/8 tsp for each side of the divider)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
1x per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
20-25% (thereís a bacteria bloom right now. Itís a new tank, so Iím leaving it be for now. This is also embarrassing to admit, but I don't know how to cycle a tank, so I've never done it
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
16-17 drops of bettasafe since I use tapwater (I used way too much conditioner when I first set up the tank) and 1 tbsp of aquarium salt for 100% water changes

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Canít afford a test kit right now :(

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Her fins are brown on the borders turning clear above the brown, and it just keeps going every day. Aquarium salts and jungle fungus hasnít worked so far either. She has, however gotten a better color since I bought her. And there was a time for a while that the current from the filter pushed her around. Now itís split in the divider where I moved it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Sheís kind of hyper, not so much as Diva, though, but Divaís the queen of hyper. She also refuses food from time to time, but I think sheís just being bratty.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Since I saw her at petco. She

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I always use aquarium salt in the water since I had the disease scare with Diva, and Iíve been using jungle fungus tablets. The first I just put in there about a week ago, and the second I pre-dissolved, and put in last night. She ate a tiny piece of it, though not sure whether or not to Isolate her or what affect the meds have on Diva.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? I got her at a petco where they use aquarium salt in the water, and she had a brown border on her tail, but I was stupid and bought her anyway. I adore this new fish, though.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
No idea, sheís bigger than Diva, whom Iíve had for about four months, so maybe 6 or 7 months old? Like I said, sheís a Petco fish.

sorry for the cheesy pictures. they were taken with an ipod touch for facebook showing off. the problem barely shows, but it's progressed.

uploading a facebook pic of Diva too for comparison (yes, I know she's a fatty)

Name:  saya 1.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  saya 2.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  saya 3.jpg
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  diva 1.JPG
Size:  45.5 KB
Thelittlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

I love the names in relation to Blood Plus. It doesn't look like fin rot. Better pictures would be more helpful. It looks like her coloring until I can see more clear pictures.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help finrot unknown