Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #1 
IttyBittyBetta

Is this something I should be worried about?

My betta seems to have some brown coloring along the edge of his head olong the side/bottom and at the very base of his pectoral fin. Is that his beard? or something more dangerous like a fungal disease or something? He is very active and has a healthy appetite. I didnt really notice it before because you can only see it in the light/angle but I think it was there when I bought him. Since he is from a petstore though I figure better safe than sorry.

edit: I've had him for about a week, the moss and plants were just added to his tank today. He is in a .5 gal for now with 100% water changes every 2/3 days.

Using the questionaire thingy:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gal
What temperature is your tank? 74
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none, using spring water

the rest i described up top.

Last edited by IttyBittyBetta; 07-30-2013 at 11:55 PM.
IttyBittyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

I'm conservative so I would add conditioner to the water. Conditioners like Stress Coat help keep their slime coat healthy and soothe any injuries. When you get your kit and test your water, unless your tap water is completely out of whack, I would use tap water.

As to the color change, often it takes more than a week for a Betta's true colors to fully show. If he's active and eating well, I wouldn't worry. But if someone else has a different idea, please chime in.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #3 
LiamB

Well your tank is way to small to keep any fish even a Betta if you're going to keep one at least a one gallon tank is needed and bigger if possible also you need a heater bettas are tropical and have to live in certain temperatures and without a filter and in such a small tank doing two water changes a week isn't enough I'm going to assume you aren't cycling your tank? Which you should or else your fish will probably be effected by ammonia. Also you should treat your water with a dechlorinator to make it safe for fish even spring water has metals in it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LiamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #4 
blufish425

I disagree with some parts of the above^^^ Your tank is very small yes, but if you are cleaning it that frequently then you are doing a good job. Consider upgrading to something larger when you can. I use 3 gallon tanks, and although right now my heaters don't really even turn on, during the winter they will be necessary. You don't NEED to cycle your tank, some people like to do it, its not completely necessary. CLEAN WATER is the main thing, no matter how big or small the tank. Use stress coat, it costs $4.50 at petsmart, it dechlorinates the water, and its good for your fishys scales. I would do that, and just keep an eye on his coloring.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #5 
IttyBittyBetta

thanks Russel, yeah I was going to wait until I got the new tank to switch over to tap water since he seems fine with the spring water. I got Prime which says it helps with the slime coat though so maybe i'll speed up the time table on the water switch at least.

Actually I do have Nutrifin BetaPlus as well that came with the 1/2gal kit we got him with. It says it has tropical almond leaf extract to reduce stress. Is that good to try first?

@LiamB - oh yes this is just a temporary tank until my 5gal one arrives with all the extras ^^ another one of those pet store clerk giving us bad betta advice stories. thanks though!

@blufish: you posted just as I did! lol, thanks should i get Stress Coat in addition to Prime?

Last edited by IttyBittyBetta; 07-31-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #6 
blufish425

Just another note: If you keep them in a little more space and with heated water you will notice that your betta is a bit more active. Both my guys zip around their tanks all day long. Also, you wont have to do as much cleaning. 100% water changes once a week instead of twice.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #7 
LiamB

Yeah a bigger tank with a filter will make your life much easier and probably will make your bettas color much more vibrant

Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #8 
IttyBittyBetta

yeah, I'm planning to cycle the 5gal once I get it, along with have some low-care live plants to help with ammonia control between changes. I was just worried about the brown color as its hard to tell if its a natural something or what.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #9 
LiamB

And size of the tank does matter blu a half gallon is not enough for a fish to move around and isn't large enough to live a happy life I didn't say he wasnt doing a good job I was commenting because clearly he cares enough about the fish to be on forums seeking answers I figured he would care enough to give his fish some room. I had a 1.5 gallon tank for 3 glofish they can't even be happy in groups of three let alone a tank that small I found out I was wrong and went and got a new tank. Like he said the pet stores will sell you on anything.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #10 
LiamB

Well when you cycle make sure to not do 100% water changes go to any pet store and buy a siphon tube with a gravel vacuum and do 15-50% water changes ( based on ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels)