Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #1 
shikatsin

a peaceful fish tank?

Hey guys.

So I have a question. I had gotten a betta a bit back, and it's now turned into one of my biggest interests. But sadly, he died a couple of months ago from dropsy :'(

But I recently got 2 new ones. I'll get pictures up soon :)

But here's the deal. I wanted to ask if it was wise to add any additional plants into my tank? The reason why I ask first is because my fish seems to be a little exhausted all the time. I wanted to get them some plants so they could rest up instead of laying on the hard gravel. I want them to live in luxury XD. But the catch is my 2 tanks are only 1/2 gallons. I know...bad move, but it was all I could afford. I don't have a job, i'm only a school kid. So, I was thinking if it is a good idea to get any plants for them unless it would make the area much more crowded and stress them out. One tank is like a normal fish bowl, and the other is the one everyone seems to have as a temporary tank (those marina tanks that come in a kit with the gravel, rocks, and the backround paper). The fish have enough space to swim, but I'm scared to add any plants that would make them feel crowded. So small, leafy plants would be nice.

So if it was a good idea, any ideas on any plants I should get?
shikatsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #2 
Holeintheworld

You can get pretty cheap tanks at walmert if you wanted, there arelike 10 gallons for 40 bucks then you could just use a divider and spilt the tank, or even a 1.5 gallon would be better, but your choice. And ya plant would be great, their natural habitat has lots plants, somethime the reason they are unactive is cause they are not used to the openess, so plants would really help they get more active.
Gook luck.
Holeintheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #3 
Nataku

Instead of saving up money to buy plants for tanks that are too small, save up your money and get a bigger tank(s).

Also in a tank so small as a half gallon, I wouldn't even bother putting any gravel or rocks in it. The fish needs every bit of free water space he can get at that size, so take out the rocks and add a little more water. It might look barren to you, but space is more important than decorations. Your fish are not 'exhausted' from exercising too much, they are having difficulty coping with the water because the tank is becoming fouled so quickly. You should be doing 50% water changes every other day in tanks that small.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Smaller tanks mean more frequent cleanings.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

You can actually get a 10 gallon for $12.23 at Walmart! And plant seeds which cost $5.46.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #6 
froglady

thats true crowntail lover. I saw one today at walmart for that price. pretty reasonable.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #7 
whitedevil

they used to be 10 bucks for a plain 10g at petsmart and deathco
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #8 
shikatsin

yes, I am trying to save up for a new fish tank. But right now, it's just not affordable.

But, I am going to get a new tank, just I have a few variables than what you guys are capable of.

For one, I am canadian, so I don't have the same cheap prices as you guys do in america. But, I will try to look for the 10 gallon tank that's 10. maybe around 20 here but yeah, for the sake of the fish!

I have looked in my local walmart, but I haven't seen one of those tanks. Maybe I should look again. I haven't looked in the pet section for quite a time.
shikatsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #9 
ifish

i would go to nature center what part of canada do u live in i also live in canada i live in quebes montreal

which part do you live in i would try nature
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #10 
jeaninel

Try Craigslist too. You can find whole setups with tank, lid, light, heater and filter for real cheap.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote