Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #1 
BettaCane

Progressing Constant Fin Rot

So a few days ago I moved back to school after at summer at home. My boy had fin rot at the end of last year, but it wasn't too bad. I noticed it during finals week so I wasn't able to put the time I needed into helping him so I tried when I was back home. Unfortunately when I was at home, my mom overfed him and he got really constipated, and I decided trying to heal him at home just wasn't going to cut it. The only place we had to keep him in his quarantine tank was in the kitchen, so he was dealing with temperature fluctuations and got stressed. (lilnaugrim helped me out with the 1st treatment)

Now that I'm at school, I decided it was time to fix his fins. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it had gotten worse. He has more split rays, there are some red spots (but in the middle of the fin, which seemed strange to me), and some of the fins look eaten away.

I also think he's constipated right now, and I think his swim bladder may be a bit swollen... I'll take a pic when I find where I packed my camera.... -_-

Its not too bad, his fins are basically all there, just a little shorter and split.

I'm setting up his quarantine tank now. I added Stress Coat + and AQ salt.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? aprox 80˚
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No (I'm going to pick one up once I'm settled in, but his tank only goes below 80˚ when the light for his plants is off)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Aprox 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I have an API master test kit. I just need to find it. I can post up the parameters when I find it...

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are a bit shorter, eaten away in some spots. Some red parts on fins (not on edges). Split rays (I think thats the term I want)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't. He bites me now if I have to do something in his tank, but I think he's just not scared of me anymore.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A while ago....
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just getting the hospital tank set up now
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. He's had some fin rot since probably a week after I got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea..

Oh, and his 5 gal is planted.
BettaCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If he is a long fin male-the fin issue might be due to the filter-water movement and using fins to swim-along with nutrition issues..

IMO/E-With the long fin males a lot of hobbyist forget about the stress on the abnormal long man-made fins these guys carry around. Just the use alone can cause them to tatter then top it off with a filter can really do a number on them. You can then have a snow-ball effect of sorts...stress-fin damage-nutrition-the open wound invites a secondary infection the stress and poor nutrition compromise the immune response-all this can allow bacterial infection to set in making it harder for recovery.

I would turn off the filter, start 50% water only change 2 times a week and improve nutrition (live mosquito larva) and see if this helps-Provided that tattered fins is the only symptom-he is not lethargic and he is still eating...etc.....Also, the plants are in active growth.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #3 
BettaCane

Rocky is very aggressive and flares at everything, so I always thought that's why his fins split. Also he used to like to rest his fins against the filter intake in his old tank. Its not that he had problems with the filter, he was always fine and could swim away from it very easily.

Should I have him in the quarantine tank or no? Also where can I find the food?

Thank you for the help.
BettaCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I have buckets outside that I allow all kinds of native aquatic critters to grow in. I go and collect from these buckets a couple of times a day to feed my fish. Mainly mosquito larva, daphnia, infusoria-I use a brine shrimp net to dip into the buckets to collect-this way I can get the tiny critters for the Betta fry that I still can't believe survived the cold outside-still scratching my head on that one...lol....

IMO/E-mosquito larva are one of the best foods for this species-I feed mass amounts-I don't count them or anything-I just collect, rinse and toss in the tanks.

The long fins being tattered is usually just a cosmetic issue-as long as they have a healthy immune response they can usually ward off any secondary infections-Filters are not bad per se, however, IMO they are not always needed-especially in a smaller tank along with live active growing plants-let the plants be the filter. With that said-some of us-not all- keep the long fin males because of the long beautiful fins and are so disappointed when they tatter-especially after we try so hard and feel we did everything right and its not that we did anything wrong so much as the long fin males delicate fins just are not designed to tolerate much-Not all long fin males have problems with water movement and/or use-IMO-sometimes it can be related to age, genetics, nutrition and overall health in general.

IMO-if its just tattered fins and he is still swimming, eating, response to you etc.....just the fins-----I wouldn't QT-I would try and fix his display tank to support his long delicate fins and improve nutrition.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote