Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #31 
IonBaller07

No I dont have one, no movement in the tank, I was going to put the stone in for the plants and then remove it when the fish came but I decided against it completly.

Sorry for the triple post, but after shining my brighter light on them to see the female, I am pretty sure she has eggs because she has a yellowish mass in the front of her but theres still blue on it, kind of lie there is yellow behind the blue, I dont know if that means shes still making them or she doesnt "stretch" much pr something. But the male still refuses to bubble even thought I flattened'ish the cup down and placed it deeper so now he can see most of the cup in the water except the very top has air in it.

Also it turns out the crappy walmart heater gave out and the tank was running at 74, so I put the real heater in and its slowly going up. Hopefully he was just to lethargic to make a bubble nest the rising temps will motivate him. Also I heard having the tank cool at first and then raising it makes them want to mate, maybe I have that going for me now.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #32 
dramaqueen
Banned

It may be that the water was too cold. It may also be that your male is too old and just not in the mood.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #33 
IonBaller07

Im hoping it was the temperature, my male is now swimming behind the heater, Im pretty sure hes not to old because he still hasnt reached the "full size" of other bettas. He still might not be in the mood though, maybe hes gay
Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #34 
dramaqueen
Banned

It may just be the temperature. Give him some more time. Do you have another male you could try?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #35 
IonBaller07

No no more males , If this is succesful I might buy more to breed but I just had these as pets not thinking to breed them until recently. He gave me a scare I walked in and he was just sitting on top of the tank, I though he had died somehow, I ran up to the tank and touched the water and he took off and went back to flaring, I guess he was just resting on the plant.

How long can they stay together like this, it must be tiring for the male to flare all day and the female is not in a very big vase.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know. You could separate them for awhile then try again.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #37 
IonBaller07

Yah I had to call it off for today, female was ready she had small bars and seemed very interested, but the male either came down with some SBD from all the conditioning food or just got too exausted, I put them back in their real tank and Ill try agin when he feels better, is there a certain time she needs before she re-grows eggs, or how long does it take for her to absorb them maybe I could try again before they go away.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #38 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea how long it takes a female to develop eggs. She may go ahead and drop them. You could give them a couple weeks break, then recondition them.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #39 
IonBaller07

Well when I put the male back in his tank he was in pretty bad shape, he dropped to the bottom and lied there. But now 20-30 minutes later hes back swimming around and flaring at the girl through the divider again. He cant make up his mind, if he stays this healthy I might try spawning, or at least introducing them again tonight. I dont think I need to condition them again because they didnt even spawn. Im pretty sure it was all the food that made him like that.

Also, do manmade bubbles work or does he have to blow his own, because I changed out a gallon of the water because they poo'ed alot so I wanted to get it out before I had a bunch of little fry to make it difficult. So I poured in thenew water and it made 20-30 little bubbles under the cup.

Last edited by IonBaller07; 05-11-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #40 
IonBaller07

Ohh forgot to update with pics, heres the spawning tank, its hard to see in the pics because its really bright outside and its casting a glare but it will have to do..

This is to show the thickness of the plants, it works great for hiding for my female, not like she needs it shes about 3 times faster than my male so she just runs away from him.