Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Cleaning decor after a dead betta...

The betta died of old age, no illness. I would like to re-use his decor in another tank, since I had bought the decor just a few weeks before he passed. I was on vacation when he died and I discovered his body roughly 24 hours after his death. I put the tank, pebbles, and decor in my garage after a thorough rinse and let them sit dry for about a week.

I know bleach would be a good way to make sure any lingering nasties are gone, but I'm a bit paranoid about using it. I have a large box of aquarium salt. Would soaking the tank, decor, and pebbles in a very high dosage of aquarium salt be adequate? I know salt is anti-bacterial.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #2 
ladybuglil123

Aquarium salt should work. But just to be on the safe side get a bucket, put the décor in and fill it with boiling water(let it cool a bit) and splash a bit of bleach in it and let it sit for about ten minutes. Hot water has been known to kill germs forever. And bleach just makes life easier! So that should clean well. As long as you don't put a fish in the same tank with the décor right away. As for that box of salt you could use some in a betta tank if you get another. Sorry for your loss. I'm sure your fish was great.
ladybuglil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #3 
freeflow246

Thanks for the tip! Yes he was great. Bit of a runt; was about 2/3 the size of my other fish with his fins included. So I was honestly surprised he stayed kicking for so long. :)
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote