Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

possible tank mates for a 10g?

So some of you may have saw that I'm obbsessed about a boy from petco who has been at the store for over a month... My mom has been saying for the last few weeks that I can't have him because I'll be to busy when school starts, but now that I'm not playing volleyball (back stabbing coach)... I will have nothing else to do so I'm wondering what are my options for tank mates? here's what I'm thinking!!

1 betta
6 juli cories

or divide the tank between two males!

I'm kinda in between on what I want because there is a tiny little yellow boy at petsmart that looks like a marble...But the cories are so cute! it might come down to a price thing though because I'm not sure how much the cories are but boy bettas are PKs so they are like $6 each...
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #2 
Sylerwin

I've never been a fan of dividing a tank, 1. The divider never looks pretty, and 2. If they can see each other, it stresses them out.

I have my betta in with 3 African Dwarf Frogs. They're a hoot to watch swim around
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

What size is your tank? IMO, to divide it should be at least a 10 so they have enough room to swim away from each other. Some people divide 5 gallons but I wouldn't. But, like I said, that's just my opinion.

I have a 20 long divided three ways with opaque Plexiglas dividers and no problem with constant flaring or stress.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #4 
Seki

Honestly, I have a 5 gallon divided with two boys in it, and everything is fine. No undue stress, no outrageous amounts of flaring. They're happy, and each has decor to hide in for a break if they need it. I also know of at least a few members who have 10 gallons divided 3 ways.

That being said, I find that I enjoy the look of community tanks more than divided tanks. I wouldn't have divided my 5 gallon except that I got a surprise fish and had to figure some stuff out space-wise. So you could definitely divide the ten, but if you're looking for opinions, get one male and start a small community tank. You could do some cories, the betta, maybe some guppies?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I agree with Seki: Communities with a Betta as the centerpiece are wonderful.

I just added Moscow Panda Guppies. They are half the size of Fancy guppies and I just love them. My Pygmy Cories which are also great. I'm supposed to have three Amanos but since they only come out one at a time I'm not really sure.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #6 
JamieL

I just UN-divided mine and moved the second male to his own tank. I tried, it just didn't work out. Even with an opaque divider, they went after each other so badly that the crowntail bit a lot of his own fins down to nubs, and the VT blew out his tail. :(
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote