Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #1 
Hannahbubble

When to add?

Ok so I think I'm starting to get my head around everything from what I've read so far but I'm still slightly confused.

My aim is to have an Aquastart 320 tank, with one betta fish and then probably some snails, and most likely a few live plants, but I have a few questions.

1. How many snails should I have and what kind?

2. When do I add them? Before or after the betta, or at the same time?

3. I'm planning on doing a fish-in cycle.. Would I put the snails in by themselves before the fish for better results?
Hannahbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What kind of snails are you planning on getting? Mystery Snails should have 2.5g per snail & if you get two snails there's a chance of having a male & female which means Mystery snail babies . . . possibly. I don't keep two in a tank because I always end up losing one, usually the female. Nerite snails you could have one or two, they'll lay eggs but they won't hatch in freshwater. Most snails are sensitive to water parameters so you may have issues during cycling with them wanting to get out if your water parameters are too off kilter.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #3 
Hannahbubble

I can't remember which ones they had in P@H but after reading on here I was thinking nerite. Would it be better to just get one?

Would it be best to add snails after the tank is cycled and the betta is happy in there then?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

How a Betta reacts to a snail depends on the Betta. I have two different males that I've recently caught being agressive with their Nerites & I've seen the one nip at his Mystery snail. These two Bettas were added to the tanks after the snails had been in there a while so . . . I didn't add my Nerites until I had a reason to do so, green algae issues. You're tank being so new won't have any established algae. You'll need to make sure to have algae tabs although I've not seen my Nerites munching on them but I've heard others say theirs did.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 
Hannahbubble

Ok thank you! I may wait to add a snail then.