Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #1 
ReeseInPieces

1/2 gallon tank? Good or bad?

So I bought a betta for my boyfriend 3 years ago and he is still kickin, he was living in a half gallon little fish bowl with a plant and some colourful glass pebbles until just recently, he has now been switched over to about 1-1 1/2 gallon tank with a little castle for him to hide in. He has seemed relatively good since we got him and it inspired me to get one for myself.

So as of today I have added cheekie my new betta to my house hold in about a 1/2 gallon bowl. Just recently I've been told that that's not good to keep them in a tank that size but solomon ( boyfriends fish) seems to have been not only healthy but happy in his previously tank that he stayed in for 2years. I'm looking into buying mini heaters for both fish tanks, but I just wanted to know, is it really that bad?
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

The main difficulties with smaller bowls is that they can be harder to find a suitable heater that will keep the water a consistent temperature with minimal fluctuations (often not the case with so called 'pre-set' heaters aimed at bowls), and that water quality is much harder to maintain.

From a personal perspective, I also think 1/2 a gallon is not nearly enough space to provide an enriching environment for a betta. It's not a lot of space at all, particularly if you add in substrate or decorations.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #3 
cowboy

Congrats on your new addition. There is much debate about the size of house. I think the most important thing is it is large enough to have a heater. From experience I like to see mine in a min gallon. They have room to swim, have a heater and decorations. I've known ppl who have had the same size home 1/2 gallon and their fish did well but honestly one gallon min is my preference. You care about you fish and that's a good thing. Some ppl say min 5 gallons but we all can't do that. There's a small tank 1-2 gallon on here, check it out.

Hope this helps

Tetra makes a 1 gallon plastic tank for 15 in Canada and many ppl stay critter keepers are good and inexpensive.

Last edited by cowboy; 07-31-2013 at 07:01 PM.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #4 
4lpha

Yeah, at the least, use a 3-5 gallon tank (which will be plenty of room to swim around in. My Alpha seems to like his tank a lot (I've only had him for a month or so now). Try going for a big plastic pet carrier (the equivalent of a five gallon tank). They don't cost that much, and, couple with a heater from Petsmart or Petco, you'll be all set. I also suggest getting some Jungle Start Zyme, just in case your fish needs help with "new tank syndrome." Since you need change the tank out every week, there's no need to fear about the start zyme wearing out (the bacteria in Jungle Start Zyme can only live for a week). You can also couple that with a water conditioner that will add an extra layer of protective slime to your betta's body, thus stopping a lot of germs that may hurt him.
4lpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #5 
blufish425

Im a believer that as long as you give them warm clean water it doesn't matter what size the tank is. I use 3 gallon tanks that I got at wal mart. They are not too big for me to keep up on, but not so small that they need new water every other day. I have a couple of plants and a little house in each. I do think that with a slightly larger home you will notice your fish is more active. Think of it like this, for your fish living in 1 gallon or less is like you living in a studio apartment, slightly small, but livable. 2-3 gallons is like a 1 bedroom, a little more space to move about. 5 gallons is like a 2 bedroom, lots of space for 1 person, and so on and so forth :P
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #6 
Canis

Three of mine live in 1/2 gallons that get a water change every day, the water stays at 75F because of lamps I put by them. They are just as active as my fish in the 3 gallon tanks.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #7 
LizbethDawn

I wouldn't suggest keeping him in there longer than you have to. You could get another 1.5 like what you guys got for Solomon or if money is tight a critter keeper they have one that's a little over one gallon and the next size up is a little over 3 gallons. It allows more swimming and exploring space and you can heat them easily.

You can always keep the half gallon for water changes or if one of the tanks ever gets a leak it would be a good back up until you can replace or fix the leaky tank.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #8 
ReeseInPieces

I work at micheals so I get good discounts on the products we sell including large glass bowls for floral designs, such as the one used for solomon, ill probably look into getting him one as well, I just got him today so I guess the 1/2 gallon will only be temporary till next pay day. He seems to be enjoying himself so far although I would like to give him a little hiddy hole like a skull or something so guess a bigger tank is needed.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #9 
gbose

Good plan! go for a 2-3G tank.
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #10 
ReeseInPieces

I don't have enough space for that.