Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #1 
LizzyP

The deep clean

Good Lord have mercy....I'm exhausted.

I've been fighting with a disgusting black/dark green algae in both my 3 gallon and 5.5 gallon. They are (well, were...) two completely different tanks on different sides of the room. One was all live plants with sand (5.5 gal), the other gravel and fake plants (3 gal). Even after twice weekly cleanings with algae control it just blooms like crazy.

At first I was just going to strip the 3 gal and wipe everything down and make it a bare bottom tank. It doesn't look...terrible....Okay, it's probably the most unattractive tank I've ever seen. It looks so bare. It has fake plants and places for Frederick to hide but it's so terrible. *facepalm*

Then I turn around and see my wonderful 5.5 gal that I worked so hard on, put hours of time into, covered in this algae. I pitched everything. Sand, plants, wiped down the hard decor, removed all algae. So, now I have 2 terrible bare bottom tanks. Will it make cleaning easier? Sure. Do the fish care? Doubtful. Is it attractive? Heck no.

Sigh. I'm going to cry over my lost planted tank. Night night, all.

Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #2 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Good Lord have mercy....I'm exhausted.

I've been fighting with a disgusting black/dark green algae in both my 3 gallon and 5.5 gallon. They are (well, were...) two completely different tanks on different sides of the room. One was all live plants with sand (5.5 gal), the other gravel and fake plants (3 gal). Even after twice weekly cleanings with algae control it just blooms like crazy.

At first I was just going to strip the 3 gal and wipe everything down and make it a bare bottom tank. It doesn't look...terrible....Okay, it's probably the most unattractive tank I've ever seen. It looks so bare. It has fake plants and places for Frederick to hide but it's so terrible. *facepalm*

Then I turn around and see my wonderful 5.5 gal that I worked so hard on, put hours of time into, covered in this algae. I pitched everything. Sand, plants, wiped down the hard decor, removed all algae. So, now I have 2 terrible bare bottom tanks. Will it make cleaning easier? Sure. Do the fish care? Doubtful. Is it attractive? Heck no.

Sigh. I'm going to cry over my lost planted tank. Night night, all.

Lizzy
You do know that unless you know what's causing your algae, chances are it might come back again.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #3 
LizzyP

Fully aware. But, with everything out it'll be much easier to get the algae under control. I can get the vac all the way to the bottom without sucking up sand and gravel.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

You know i am kind of so overwhelmed in my life so i try to keep my tanks as simple as possible (10 bettas - 10 tanks) so it easier for me to take care of them and i can spend as less time as i can. And it not really look too bad and my fish live long lives too.
I have just big river stones (some i bought from the pet store , some i even broght from the beach. I have heaters during cold time and thermometers on outside of the tank , the one that sticks to the tank.

The stones are kind of flat black and white. Some stones are just smooth and it very easy to rinse them. With time or even weekly they might have slimy layer which i just rub off . Some stones are porous and has insect made holes so with time (not sure how long) you will see green i guess algae . But tell you the truth i don't have any betta i think that is younger than 2 years and all stones are original. May be a few tanks i chance them. Am i bad?

I do white slime from the heaters too. So i take them out during the summer.

And if you do full water changes you can like you say wipe the walls and wipe that algae.
I do have one tank that has more light than other tanks and that tank has more green algae on the walls. But it not a problem for me since i do full water changes every 5 days for 2.5 gall tanks.

So i think what you did will help you to control that algae. But try stones. And then bigger they are then easier to take care of them.

If you will try stones do not buy them from Walmart or target. They have them but i don't know i think when i bought it , there were different and had some kind of lair of something ...and you can't see it only if you scrub it with your finger.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #5 
FirstBetta

One of the causes of algae is the balance of nutrients and light. In my heavily planted 29 gal I had a problem with algae. I wasn't very happy with the light in the tank and got a 2XT5HO light. My plants took off. Then I discovered that using Flourish Excel reduced the algae to almost nothing. I started playing with the time the lights were on.

I used to scrape the algae off the tank sides to begin a WC. When I had reduced the time of the lights by 1/2 hour there wasn't any algae to scrape. It has been 3 weeks plus now with NO algae. I add Excel 1 to 2 times a week and Flourish Comprehensive once a week w/ no algae.

The last 2 WC I've had to cut back the wisteria and the swords fairly heavy, their growing pretty heavy, I may cut back the Comp and eliminate the Excel.

As a side issue my platies presented me w/ fry two weeks ago and they seem happy. Two of the fry had a disagreement a day ago, it was funny to see two commas going at each other.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote