Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #11 
CritterNut

Oh yeah! Well if you visit Slidell or New Orleans when I have my juveniles I will come bring you some! Or just give me the shipping and I'll send them, since it's not that far!
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #12 
nmaybyte

I would like to pose a question on the tail of your's, Critters. Since you're breeding a Yellow boy, if you used a red female, would you get orange washed coloration for some of the spawn?
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #13 
CritterNut

Ooh... I may give that a whirl! I would love to have that!
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #14 
nmaybyte

I would like to know the outcome from that. I like the idea of orange washed Plakats.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #15 
Hail0788

That would be awesome! You better post a blog about it
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #16 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail0788 View Post
That would be awesome! You better post a blog about it
+1 I agree. Also, I would like some of the more experienced breeders' opinions on the potential genetic outcomes.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #17 
DoctorWhoLuver

I am no expert, but from my understanding, yellow + red ups more than likely get you red. Since red is dominant and yellow is recessive. I think yellow is also the outcome of the no-red gene. :) he's a beautiful boy!
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #18 
Ilikebutterflies

I'm doing yellow HMPK.
It'll take a generation or two to get back to yellow. From a red x yellow breeding you can expect mostly reds perhaps some red and nr(non red) cambodians. If you breed the very best red female back to the dad you will likely get a few yellows, more cambodians and some reds. If you get lucky and get a nr and breed it back to the dad you will get mostly yellow and nr cambodian. Orange may or may not pop up. If you want orange you should find an orange female. Either way make sure your female is very clean bodied each time you breed. No other colors or dark spots on the body. Yellow is recessive so by learning to do Punnett squares you can make better decisions on potential mates. If you want to stay breeding yellow, which is a popular color as long as you keep it clean and bright, you will want to keep good nr stock around and always be on the look out for good nr outcrosses to keep your genetics strong. Try to use girls that don't have a short first dorsal ray-you boy does. He is beautiful!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #19 
Hail0788

I'm hoping this is going to be Blackbeard's GF. If I get her I will breed them.
Attached Images

Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #20 
Darth

Ok folks, Betta genetics work nothing like paints Yellow X Red doesn't equal orange yellow X Red = red in the F1 in the F2 you may see some yellows and reds plus Cambodian.

Blue X Yellow gives you an assortment including perhaps green IF the yellow is geno for Royal Blue. Idjo has some verygood genetics listed in here anyone who is breeding should have a look, also what everyone is gaga about in here has nothing to do with how a Betta judge will see the fish, if you want an Honest Eval ask Basement Bettas, she may not tell you what you want to hear, but she WILL tell you the truth.
And...she is an IBC judge.
As a rule people shy away from rosetail because of the X factor gene, it does not bother me, if you spawn this guy to a nice HM female you will likely get some very fine HMs along with RT and Possibly Feather tail.

Last edited by Darth; 08-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote