Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #1 
AlfaTheBeta

Question Question about one of my betas

Hi, I am new to these forums. I just bought 2 new crowntail betas one male and one female(Tough Guy and Cutie Pie) too replace my old beta(Alpha) who has recently passed. Its been a couple of days since i bought the new betas. they live in a 2.5gallon tank, with a seperator. I have noticed a change in the top fin of tough guy, it looks weathered. I don't know if this means he is sick, or if it means that he is stressed, because he has been putting on a big display for his female companion on the other side of the divider.

I have taken precautoinary measures and used beta fix in the pen after i replaced the water, I will probably put the happy couple back in the tank sometime tomorow.
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. A 2.5 gallon divided tank is too small for 2 bettas. For one betta, it would be fine. If Tough Guy's fins are looking bad, it may be fin rot which is caused by poor water quality. I would reccommend that you change the water once, preferably twice a week. By the way, I like your bettas' names! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #3 
AlfaTheBeta

Thanks, I will definately go and get a second 2.5 gallon tank for Cutie Pie. I just need to find space for it first, Because they like to look at each other. Cutie Pie seems to like the company of her male companion. They even swim along the divider together.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

It won't hurt anything to have their tanks side by side. I keep mine side by side and it doesn't cause any problems. Just as long as they're not in the tank together with no divider.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #5 
AlfaTheBeta

I just found Alpha's old 2 gallon bowl. going to use it for Cutie pie. Is it safe to use the old gravel if i clean it well.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I'd throw out the old gravel and get new gravel just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #7 
AlfaTheBeta

Sounds like a good idea. Ithink I'll do that today when I get out of school.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #8 
AlfaTheBeta

just got back from school. went to petco and bought thermometers to keep an eye on the temp of the pen, bought him a new 2.5 gallon tank with air pump and light, also bought a new decoration just for him. and of course one for her, cant leave out my cutiepie.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds good!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #10 
AlfaTheBeta

Tough Guy loves his new decoration. he has ben swiming around it for the last hour. and he looks a lot better. the only thing is, he is not making bubble nests. but that could be because he is still getting used to the new tank. he does flare at the air pump and the thermometer but not as much as before when he only had half of the tank. I think he is much happier with with his own tank.

As for cutiepie she thinks her pen has gotten a lot bigger and has been getting much exercise in her new enclosure. they both are a lot happier.