Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #1 
InfiniteGlory

Dwarf Hair Grass (eleocharis parvula) planting ideas needed

I picked up some DHG from petsmart last night. Looking for some ideas on how you plant them. I have researched online and on youtube and have a good idea how to plant them.

what I am looking for is should I trim it short so that it all grows the same height? or should I plant some short ones around three sides and leave the middle and back long? or just go with the flow and plant what I have.

My tank is only about 10"-11" tall so I just don't want it to look too out of place. Here is the latest pic of my tank. For reference the two sword plants are about 9" tall roughly measured from the substrate.

InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 
Naladari

Id bunch them in your front left foreground in the picture.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #3 
InfiniteGlory

From what I read they will eventually fill in the rest of the tank, correct?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can tear or cut them into pieces (assume the ones you got were in a 3 inch long by 1 inch long mat) and then plant them about an inch to inch and a half away from each other and they will eventually fill in like that if you have enough lighting and ferts. They're heavy root feeders too as most carpet plants are, so they'll enjoy either substrate for plants or root tabs.

Anywho, I'd line them across the front in small bunches about 1-1.5 inches away from the glass but in front of the swords. It's going to kind of look spotty for quite a while until they're acclimated and will grow after that.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #5 
InfiniteGlory

my DHG came in the plastic package from petsmart that was hanging on the shelf. Soon I will pull them out and put them in some conditioned water so they can breath.

my tank bottom is not completely flat. there is actually a smaller deeper square about 1" or so smaller than the tank. so there is going to be a little path between the DHG and the sides. You can look at the swords, they are in the front most corners of the deep part of the tank.

Does anyone have any recommendations on height? should I make and keep them short or let them be natural height?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you want a carpet, go short but if not then go natural. Or you can have it shorter where the "path" will be and towards the edges of the tank, let it grow natural to give the illusion of a deeper tank.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #7 
InfiniteGlory

if plant everything and trim it later will it grow back fully or stay short? all the information I read has said to make the decision of short or tall before planting. but nothing ever says anything about it after planting.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yes, it will grow! As far as I know, they will continue to grow up, much like regular grass does.

Some plants like Microsword, if you trim them they scar over because they don't self heal like some plants do. All Swords don't self heal but as far as I'm aware, hairgrasses do.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #9 
InfiniteGlory

so it sounds like I need to make the decision of short or long BEFORE planting, correct?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu

Not really. Lots of people "mow" their DHG on occasion. For me, it's semi-hard to grow...and I love the way it looks. The only thing I really know from experience is it grows better if it isn't "clumped." And it will spread and eventuallu carpet your whole tank. Just thin and replant when one area gets too thick.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote