Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #1 
dragonforger17

Exclamation New to taking care of beta

Recently I started attending college. We are not allowed to have pets unless they live underwater. Few years ago did the goldfish thin but recently decided to get a beta. I have a mail beta thats all i really know about him. He lives in a small tank with some rocks no plants or anything at the current time, He eats about three times a week and I just switched to pellets today. He makes bubbles at the top of the tank so i assume hes happy.

I have moved back home and when I arrived my mother had bought me ten gallon tank. I went out today and bought a filter and thermometer. The tank is currently filled with tap water and im going to a pet store to get the beta water conditioner today, along with a heater. For the tank im wanting to go with a bambo type theme. At the pet store they sell bambo plants for your tank. I was wondering if these would be okay for the betta first? Second I was thinking about buying more bettas but I want them in the same tank, so would adding three female bettas be okay? Also what other fish are okay to place in the same tank as a betta?

Im also picking up a liquid test kit to test the water in the new tank.

Any tips for making this as easy as possible on my beta would be much appreciated.
dragonforger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #2 
IonBaller07

Everything sounds fairly good except for the more bettas, you cant add anymore, even females will try to fight and kill him. You can however add many different kinds of fish. My favorite is a nice group of Neon Tetras, the little blue and red ones. Or you could put an african dwarf frog. These get along with MOST bettas but some are stillmean and dont like tankmates. Basically any fish that isnt too "flashy", doesnt have long fins (like other bettas), and will stay at or near the bottom, SHOULD be fine with your betta.

Also, you can feed him more that 3 times a week. I feed mine twice a day and they're doing fine.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would read up on cycling because if you have tankmates, you'll need a cycled tank. If you want more bettas, you could divide your tank and get a second betta. As Ionballer said, bettas will fight, even females. Female sororities can be done but only under the right conditions. Males and females should never be housed together except for spawaning only. I would start feeding twice a day. The API master test kit is the one that is reccommended around here.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #4 
dragonforger17

Okay well he doesnt eat if i feed him twice a day, or even if i feed him twice in two day. Should I be worrried?

Also i just switched from flakes to pellets.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would just keep offering him the food twice a day. How long have you had him?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #6 
dragonforger17

3 almost 4 months now
Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know if he's getting enough to sustain him or not. If he's swimming around and is active I guess he's ok. Just keep offering him food every so often. Have you tried bloodworms?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #8 
Campbell

You could divide the tank if you want multiple bettas...
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #9 
dragonforger17

Well his original tank was at 65 degrees and it was fairly small. Im quite glad i have the larger tank and the heater i have it at 78 degrees and he is quite happy. Im a couple days away from adding the bamboo into his tank and tested the water and have all the correct levels.

Thank you for all your help getting my beta set up in his new tank.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with him.