Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #1 
roarsirroar

Weird Popeye is Not Going Away!

So Rocco got popeye in both eyes the morning I left for a three-day vacation. You can imagine how freaked out I was. I put him in a 3gal and medicated 1tsp/gal Epsom salt and when I came back...one eye completely healed! Horray!
Unfortunately, the other eye is being a real pain. When I came back from my vacation I immediately changed the water and medicated 2tsp/gal in a 2gal for 7 days. Although he looks and acts alot happier and healthier than last week, his eye socket (or something) is swelling big time. His actual eye is a bit cloudy, but not as serious as when I left for vacation.

Oh, and he also has this finrot that WILL NOT GO AWAY UGH.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal
What temperature is your tank? 80-82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yup
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?betta buffet pellets and hikari freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish?4 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?(before) 100% every two-three days (now) 100% everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? seachem prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?popeye/finrot
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms?popeye-week ago/finrot- X MONTHS LIKE UGH
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?2tsp/gal epsom salt for 1 week....now its just 100% fresh water everyday.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?yup weird stuff happens to him :( http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82933
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2-3 years...?
Attached Images

roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

I suggest you keep doing what you're doing, and don't use medications besides aquarium/epsom salt. Do water changes a lot, good luck with Rocco1
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 
roarsirroar

Ok! I sure hope it clears up soon cause it's freaking me out, haha. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #4 
TheGoldenBetta

Np man glad to help! BTW the 1 was supposed to be an ! lol.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #5 
roarsirroar

Hi again

Despite every day water changes his eye is doing much worse. I think he is blind in that eye and there are some shiny specks on his eyeball. The growth underneath is really conquering his eye and im afraid it will make his eye fall off. He still eats normally but i can see he is uncomfortable and struggles more with swimming due to the imbalance of the growth. I will upload photos tomorrow but please i need major help!! I don't think epsom salt is working anymore...
Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #6 
roarsirroar

pictures. please help!
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I think you need to start some medications right away. If you have them or can get them, use the combination of Maracyn I and II (not Plus). Or if you have/can get KanaPlex, that will be extremely useful as well. Water changes are going to be a big factor in this as well, this is probably caused by bacteria, but we'll have to figure out which one since there are two. Gram negative bacteria (Maracyn II) is what causes most things and then gram positive (maracyn I) causes the other few things so combining both those meds will increase his odds of battling this away, whatever it is.

KanaPlex will be useful since it's broad spectrum, so either use one or the other, do not use all three. The more meds you add, the more stressful it is to him. I'd prefer KanaPlex since it's a newer med which means less things will be immune to it and it will work more efficiently.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #8 
roarsirroar

ok i'll see if i can get kanaplex...what would the dosages be if i have a 2 gallon?

thanks for your response!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The dosage is for 5 gallons so if you could get a five gallon tub or tank you could mix it up in there and then use it for water changes for his tank. Or if you have something that's 2.5 gallons, you could split the dose as evenly as you can and use it to mix in there.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Poor guy! I agree: he needs antibiotics at this point. Some options for you to choose from:

1) Maracyn (erithromycin) AND Maracyn 2 (minocycline)

2) Maracyn (erithromycin) AND any ONE of these: (API Furan 2, or Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear)

3) Kanaplex (kanamycin)

4) Sulfa drug if you are not allergic to them! Any ONE: API Triple Sulfa, or Maracyn PLUS.

-----------------

You can determine the amount needed for a 2 gal tank (or any other size) by:
1) Fill a measuring cup with water (and conditioner) to an amount that is easily divisible by 10. (For example, 10 ounces, 30 ounces, etc.).... OR you can just use existing tank water to fill the container to the desired amount.
2) Dissolve the medication.
3) Determine the amount of medicated water by doing the following:

(Your tank capacity) x (Total volume in the measuring cup) / (Amount that 1 packet/tablet treats)

--------------------------

EXAMPLE:
If one packet of medication treats 10 gal, and you have a 2.5 gal tank.

Fill the measuring cup to a vol like 30 ounces. Dissolve the packet. Then:

(2.5 gal tank) x (30 ounces in measuring cup) / (10 gal) = 7.5 ounces of the medicated water is needed.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 08-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote