Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #1 
LaniBaby

Bluey's tail needs help!

I'm not sure what happened here. 2 days ago bluey's tail and fins were great. and now there's a rip in the back fin and the anal fin looks a little clumped. Anyone have any ideas? all plants and stuff are the same since I got him, except i switched to sand the other day. i don't think it looks like fin rot but you can see a few small holes near the tear. i'm really worried!! thoughts? (ignore his clear part on the center tail. That's not a tear, just an odd little celophane-like line.) the first 2 photos are today. the third photo is his tail 2 days ago, no signs of ripping.
Attached Images

LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #2 
LaniBaby

well i sent photos to bluey's breeder and she said it's a stress tear, a "blown tail." She said it probably won't affect his health but it may have been caused by flaring! she said, sadly, that it's unlikely to heal and he'll probably always have at least a small tear there. She said the curling happens often in halfmoons because their fins can't support the branching and will get worse with age, most likely.

poor bluey. :(
Old 05-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard of males with heavy finnage blowing their tails. At least its not from finrot. He's still beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #4 
LaniBaby

aww thanks. i added a little melafix and changed out about a gallon of water to try to help him out a little. i'm leaving town for 4 days on wed. night so i'm worried about him while i'm away! i may change some more water on wednesday. poor little blown fin. it's like he blew a tire.. he's like a racecar betta. my friend said he's ok, he's like a van gogh now. :) i hope his fins don't keep getting heavier. i've been noting him resting on leaves a lot lately. he struggles to stay afloat sometimes!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You might want to ask the breeder about the fins getting heavier. Yeah, a little melafix couldn't hurt.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote