View Poll Results: Which Do You Prefer?
Blue Buffalo 3 33.33%
Wellness 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #11 
JennNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
My daughter switched her dog to Wellness and says he is doing great with it. I just switched my dog Barkley over to Evolve dog food and its grain free and he is loving it. He was being all itchy so I thought the grain free might help with that but since I am switching him over slowly and mixing it with his other dog food so it doesnt upset his stomach its really difficult and to soon to tell if its helping yet. In a few days I will switch him over to it completely so I will be able to tell then if its helping with the itching issue but either way I think going grain free is the way to go.
Such a similar story for us. Our dog, Cassie, has been struggling with hot spots and dry skin. We are currently in the process of switching her over to Blue Buffalo. So I also can't say if I've seen an improvement, yet.

I would recommend just reading the ingredients then figuring out what works best for you and your budget. Food with "corn" or "byproduct meal" as the first few ingredients are no bueno! Same as what goes when people recommend food for our bettas here on the forum. Less fillers + More of what the animal would naturally eat = best.

And yay for the new dog!! How exciting! : )
JennNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Sorry about your dog with the itch! :( Hopefully Cassie will feel better soon. :D

And yep, I learn so much on forums. ^.^ Thanks.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #13 
JennNP

Thanks LBT! I hope so too. We have meds for her, but they're definitely just treating the symptom and not the cause. Hoping the food will do the trick! We also bought her Burts Bees hot spot shampoo XD Love Burts Bees for myself, I figured why not for the dog too!

Oh and don't forget to show pics of the new pup come Christmas time!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

It's not sure, but the chances are high. I don't want to get my hopes up that easily. lol :p

Are you going to feed Cassie Lamb & Brown Rice? Or just the Wilderness? I heard bad stuff about the L&BR on the other forum, I just want to make a small alert.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #15 
JennNP

We went for chicken and brown rice. I also saw a youtube video (although it was several years old) with the whitefish one, and it was full of fish bones!

We spent a lot of time looking at the wilderness ones. They were slightly more expensive and the only difference we could really see was that it included meat that is so pricey we can't afford to feed ourselves that well! We are already on a budget and had to cut from own food money to afford the Blue Buffalo food. I couldn't justify spending more on the wilderness to feed our dog duck, when I only get to enjoy duck during hunting season! haha
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #16 
Tolak

Grain, especially corn is a big offender for many things, most commonly skin issues. In the long run good food ends up being cheaper than vet visits & medication. Good chance you'll see the dog perk up a bit with a better quality food, I had that happen with a 10 year old foster turned family member a few years back. She came to me overweight, with bad teeth, pretty obvious diet of table food when she wouldn't eat the Wellness for the first few days.

By the 3rd day she figured if she didn't eat what was given the younger two guys would continue to chow down on her portion. After about 4 months she lost the excess weight, & was keeping up with a couple dogs way less than half her age. Having a better physical condition for being knocked out for dental work I had that taken care of, after a day of rest it was like a second puppyhood for the old girl.
Tolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Haha I wish I was able to hunt. I ate fried duck before, not really tasty IMO. Blehh

Yep, dog food is very expensive. Even the crappy brands sometimes are.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #18 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
Grain, especially corn is a big offender for many things, most commonly skin issues. In the long run good food ends up being cheaper than vet visits & medication. Good chance you'll see the dog perk up a bit with a better quality food, I had that happen with a 10 year old foster turned family member a few years back. She came to me overweight, with bad teeth, pretty obvious diet of table food when she wouldn't eat the Wellness for the first few days.

By the 3rd day she figured if she didn't eat what was given the younger two guys would continue to chow down on her portion. After about 4 months she lost the excess weight, & was keeping up with a couple dogs way less than half her age. Having a better physical condition for being knocked out for dental work I had that taken care of, after a day of rest it was like a second puppyhood for the old girl.
That's great she got better! It sucks on how many people abandon their pets to shelters, and their conditions are already bad. :/
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #19 
JennNP

We're definitely happy we made the change! Our vet tried to tell us she was "bored" and that's why she got hot spots. I did some research myself and they come from allergies or infection. I'm hoping it was the corn in her old food. We'll see how it goes.
So good to hear the positive effects it had on your dog, Tolak! Luckily, Cassie loooves her new food. We're still mixing it in with the old, and she tries to pick out just the Blue Buffalo lol
Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #20 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNP View Post
We're definitely happy we made the change! Our vet tried to tell us she was "bored" and that's why she got hot spots.
Crazy vet! I hope you got a new one after that. It's like saying you get zits from being bored
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote