Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #1 
Ph34rtherats

Unhappy not an empergency.. I dont think... but still very worried, why wont he eat?? ; ;

I bought a blue CT from Petsmart about a week ago and he hasn't eaten anything since I don't know when they fed him last and I'm terribly worried about him. Stan (the fish) doesn't seem to have lost any color but he doesnt move much and tends to lie on the bottom, except maybe once a day I hear a splash as he seems to be trying to jump out. Is he unhappy or stressed? Does he need a bigger cage? I dont want to cave and make him a bloodfish eater or somthing then he'll just get fat but I dont know how long I can watch him not eat someone please help me out i really dont want stan to die
Ph34rtherats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #2 
Twistersmom

What are you trying to feed him?
I am sure he is still nervous about his new home. Maybe try feeding him some bloodworms. I have one betta that is not at all interested in pellets, so I have been spoiling him on bloodworms and blackworms.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:02 AM   #3 
Campbell

Bettas can go several weeks without food. Just keep offering it to him, but be sure to remove anything he doesn't eat. You could also try bloodworms(rehydrated). What size is his tank? This is a pretty common problem, especially with new fish. Most seem to come around soon enough though. Good luck!
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #4 
Ph34rtherats

He's in a 1/2 gallon tabletop tank i got as a kit made by marina company and it came with Nutrafin flakes which he doesn't eat but I've never had one that would and I bought him Tetrabetta floating mini pellets but he doesn't even seem to glance at them. I've been considering going to blood worms more and more I'm just worried they will make him sick if he eats too many of them, is there a different feeding schedule I should follow for those? I realize hes probably just fine and besides the not eating he seems perfectly healthy but I'm still worried about him, I like my fishy, i don't want him hungry or sick
Old 05-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would get some bloodworms to try to entice him to eat, then if he does, try the pellets again.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #6 
Fishin Pole

i dont know what the lesser of 2 evils are........leaving him in the 1/2 gallon tank and letting him adjust to his surroundings or giving him a larger home now and letting him go through this again.........He will start to eat eventually, but he would be much happier in at least a 2 gallon tank
Fishin Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #7 
froglady

A larger tank would be a good idea. using the same water from the smaller tank, ad the same decor and maybe some silk floating flowers. its up to you. dont know if it would stress him or not.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #8 
rockstar26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph34rtherats View Post
I bought a blue CT from Petsmart about a week ago and he hasn't eaten anything since I don't know when they fed him last and I'm terribly worried about him. Stan (the fish) doesn't seem to have lost any color but he doesnt move much and tends to lie on the bottom, except maybe once a day I hear a splash as he seems to be trying to jump out. Is he unhappy or stressed? Does he need a bigger cage? I dont want to cave and make him a bloodfish eater or somthing then he'll just get fat but I dont know how long I can watch him not eat someone please help me out i really dont want stan to die

i too have a blue crowntail that i had gotten from petco, currently treating him for fin rot.... he also is one to just lounge around near the bottom of the tank.... not sure if they are less active swimming wise then other betta types.... i would definately put your lil guy in a bigger tank good luck!
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

All betta's are shy at first. And the little guy will come around just fine. I just rescued a big boy that had some fungus on his body and head. He wouldnt eat anything. Now three days later after cleaning the water everyday and offering him foods like pellets, bloodworms, and shrimp. He will eat anything and everything I through at him!!! haha. Just be patient! He will come around. : ]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #10 
Ph34rtherats

Okay thank you very much! I'm gonna see about getting him a bigger tank
and blood worms as soon as i can. I've never heard about getting them shrimp were can i find those? I may not be able to get back to my parents to get one of my big tanks out of storage until this weekend or early next week do u guys think that Stan will be okay till then? also I have 10 Gallon tanks and i want to say a 33 Gallon tank would he be okay in either with some other fish friends? thank you so much again for all your help everyone i really appreciate it I've had lots of other fish but no Betta's and am not really sure how to handle such a simple fish lol

Tags
eating