Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #1 
Ozzy Greyman

Question do people purposely fight bettas?

do people fight bettas?
i was just wondering cause thats kinda messed up

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 05-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Ozzy Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #2 
IonBaller07

Im sure someone out there does, thats pretty terrible, first they are put in little cups then they are fought to the death.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

At an lps I go to, they had to move the bettas where employees could keep an eye on them because some smart alecks thought they were being cute by putting them together in their cups.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #4 
onekatietwo

I really doubt anybody does it really seriously like they do with dog fights and cockfights.
I mean really, can you imagine a bunch of low-lives crowding around a fish tank watching two tiny fish fight each other and placing bets on it? I can't. There's no drama. No blood, no noise, no teeth, they can't even move THAT fast.
The reason people are drawn to other animal fights is because of those things I listed above and because of the money to be passed around in betting. Nobody is going to bet on Betta fights (at least not very seriously) and the death wouldn't be violent enough for them. It probably wouldn't be fast enough for anybody to stay interested for the whole time, either.

I'm sure some people HAVE done it, but no, I don't think it is done on a large scale or at all regularly.

Just curious, what made you ask this? Did you see something that made you think that it might be happening?
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #5 
onekatietwo

I lied. A quick google search reveals that it's especially common in Thailand (Seriously, what ISN'T common there?)
They're bred with much shorter fins than the ones we usually see so they're a lot faster. Check out www.fighterbetta.com to see some pictures of how they look. The site is pretty badly translated in places.

There are also quite a few youtube videos of dumb kids doing it, but just for fun like I said before, seemingly not too seriously.

I won't share any links. Probably not something you'd want to see.

Quite silly.

Last edited by onekatietwo; 05-12-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I saw one on youtube that some kid made. It was a shame to see two beautiful fish fighting. Some people think it's funny.It's disgusting.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's against forum rules to post those links anyway.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #8 
AlfaTheBeta

Those fighter betas look pretty cool, but it angers me that people do that to their fish.
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #9 
onekatietwo

Yeah, I wouldn't mind ordering one just to have one. They are pretty cool looking and I'm sure they're quite healthy given what they're bred to do.

I guess I have to feel somewhat indifferent on it. It's incredibly stupid, of course. I really don't think it should go on. But at the same time, it's hard to get so riled up about this rather small-scale cruelty when you take a brief look at the state of American factory farms. What they do in that industry is much more cruel (in my opinion) and on a much larger scale, and it is also being done to animals with much more sophisticated nervous systems and higher mental capacities.

It's a bad argument, but it really is hard for me to care THAT much about something that would, to at least some extent, go on in the wild anyway.

But yeah, it's just so stupid. There is no point. People are so dumb.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #10 
AlfaTheBeta

I totally agree with you
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote