Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #1 
JustMe74

How many babies are left after 8 weeks?

So I'm maybe planning on breeding betta's
I have some experience with them and other aquarium fish but never bred a fish except a guppy I accidentally bought pregnant but yeah, that doesn't really count

One of the deciding factors on whether or not I'm gonna breed betta's is the ammount of fry, okay, lots of eggs, not all will hatch, fry will die, but how many are left after 8 weeks? So at the time you have to seperate the males
I'll use plastic storage boxes divided into 6-8 parts (I'll see how big one of those is, it'll be the biggest size they have) using a black lid of these boxes as dividers by cutting them into pieces (Ikea sells clear and black plastic boxes with this click-on lids)
And as a heater I'll use Flexwatt heater tape, and as filter a little sponge filter powered by an air pump, one per 'little tank' in the box, I have an air pump with 4 outflows and calculated (and tried) that one outflow can handle 4 filters, so if I divide a box in 8, I can filter 2 entire boxes with 1 pump
But how many males are left after 8 weeks? Is it like 50/50 with the males and females are do you have more males/females at certain temperatures? Because I can have a few of these boxes but I don't think my parents will agree when I have like 10 of them :P
Is there any way to reduce fry? I know I'll have to euthanize some that are deformed or sick and I'm prepared for that (did it with a dwarf gourami which had the untreatable irido virus and was suffering) but I don't really wanna kill healthy, beautiful fish just because I don't have enough room for them

I already did a LOT of research on breeding betta's and no, I won't be breeding a pair of cheap VT's from Petsmart
I'm going to the Holland Betta Show in 2 weeks, having 100$ to spend on a few fishies. I assume the betta's on this show are all of great quality and breedable, but I'll ask the fish' owner/breeder to be sure
I hope to find a gorgeous rosetail male and HM female!

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me!
JustMe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

There's no way to tell you how many males you will get out of a spawn or how many eggs the female will produce.

Since this is your first spawn you will probably end up with less then 80 fish that make it to adulthood. Assume you will get a 50/50 m:f ratio... Though it may not be, and you should prepare to house more males.

Also, do not assume the fish at the show are great quality and do not trust it if the seller tells you they are... Study up on the standards and decide for your self.

By the way, please do yourself, your fish, and the hobby a favor and do not breed a rosetail. Rosetails carry excessively heavy fins that they often bite and breeding rosetails can lead to X factor fry... Deformed, weak fish, essentially.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #3 
JustMe74

Ow, I didn't know that! Then I'll buy a halfmoon, I don't want any fish to be deformed due to my fault

This is the standard the betta's have to be before they're allowed to enter the show:
http://www.hollandbettashow.com/bettas4all-standard/
I haven't read it because 1. Its sooo long, 2. Though I might read it, I won't understand it (cause my mother tongue is Dutch and the standard only is in English and there's a lot of difficult words in it so yeah)
I counted all fish that were signed up in the show classes last year and it's 308, and the total of all betta's on the show was 308, so all fish have the bettas4all standard
(http://www.hollandbettashow.com/bett...tta-show-2012/)

But maybe I can cull like a lot of the fry when its very young still young, I don't think I'll have much problems with that, but when you clearly see it's shape and colors and finnage, I think it's much harder to euthanize a healthy fish

Or my dad came with the idea to scoop away half of the bubble nest (with the eggs in) but won't that ruin the entire nest? Or prevent the male to care for it?
(My dad has had an aquarium for 13 years, first a 30 gallon (which I have now!) and then a 80 gallon, and he's had a lot of different fish species but never had betta's)
Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #4 
Lamb

This might help you to pick something that's got good form.
Name:  slide-4-728.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  92.0 KB
Name:  slide-11-728.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  66.3 KB

Read up here on the breeding section for the next 2 weeks before you go, as much as you can! It will help a TON! Plus I always listen to the more experienced members on this board (like Matt who posted above), it's helped a lot to understand a bit more. Rosetails are pretty, but the outcome is very very sad when the x factor comes into play. Also you may come to realize that even some non rosetail males are getting too long finned and look like they struggle everyday because of the heavy fins. So maybe keep that in mind when you breed.

Also I've been told again and again to have a goal! Believe me, get a nice male and a FEW females for him. You never know if one female is too aggressive, or isn't interested in the male you have. And stick to one pair. I've made the mistake of having too many "goals" and now have 5 pairs, and several extra females sitting around. Do you plan on starting a sorority in the 30g you have? They are SO much fun. :)

Last edited by Lamb; 08-02-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #5 
JustMe74

Thank you!

Yes, I am planning to get a sorority in my 30 gallon, I have 1 female in it now, but I'm not breeding that one. She's from the petstore, her fins torn off and skinny, couldn't stand to not buy her, she's better now, but definately NO breeding quality!
I wanna buy 3 more females at the show (or from a hobby breeder, there's a good breeder of halfmoon salamanders around here I've read on a Belgian aquarium forum)

Thanks for warning me about the rosetail! Though I'd love to have one, it'll be something for in the future when I can house another male, for now, just females in the big tank, maybe the male with them, otherwise him in my 10 gallon aquascape, and the storage boxes for the juveniles

But I have one question: How much space do the juvenile males need? I'm maybe considering to get jars (though i dont like jars for betta's), getting a low storage box (you know, these you can roll under your bed), put the jars in, fil the box with water and put a heater in there (I still have a 50W and 75W heater left)
But how do you keep those clean? I assume you cant put a filter in there, and doing a 100% change isn't good, so how?

I've read that if you cross a DT and a CT you have big chances to get combtails?
Is there a big risk on doing this? (many deformed or weak or so)
Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #6 
Lamb

You'll have more success with more than 4 females, even if you get a few cheap ones at the petstore and just breed the ones you want and are quality. It really disperses the animosity. I had 5 to begin with, took one out to condition next to my male and one of them was eaten. So I now have 9 in the sorority, one in the breeding tank and one conditioning. I would start with at least 5 or 6. Just to save you a little heartache. You also need tons of hiding places and plants.

They're very pretty! But after reading about them here and seeing pictures of what the offspring would look like, I wouldn't mess with them. But don't put the male in with the females, unless they're divided. The male might kill the females or the females might gang up on the male. The 10 gallon sounds like heaven for him.

There are some differences when it comes to space for the jarred males. Most keep them in 32-64 oz containers, others keep them in smaller or larger. It all depends on what you want and what works for you. Remember though the smaller the jar the more water changes need to be done. If they are in individual jars, you have to change each individually, but there are different methods of doing this. Just google jarring methods and water changes. As for the tote idea, I have the same game plan, though I will be putting the heater more towards the middle so the heat is dispersed. You will need quite a few, I would start off with enough to hold 100 males.

As for mixing tail types, some prefer not to because the results will be mixed. Have you read the stickys here on the breeding forum? There are great links to review.

Last edited by Lamb; 08-02-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Baby hit enter. Lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #7 
JustMe74

I've found 1.5l (50oz) and 2l (67oz) pots on a secondhand site for 1.2€ each, and there's a lid with each one
I sent a mail to the advertiser to ask what's been in the pots (you never know) and there's been just fruits and vegetables in
I'm gonna buy them all (27 of 2l and 29 of 1.5l) so I already have some
I'll pick them up when I go the the Holland betta show in Arcen in 2 weeks because its on the way to Arcen and otherwise it'd be a little far
I've found a heat carpet for reptiles of 36W 75x27cm for only 22€ on a reptile onlineshop

But would it be possible to like scoop away half of the bubble nest when there's only eggs in? (so no fry yet)
Otherwise I'll try to get half of the fry out when they're a few days old and euthanize them, because for a 1st time I wanna have a little less fry so I can concentrate on the fry I have and care well for them so I won't have any surprises with having too less room or too less food or so
I think it'd be better to euthanize half and have 50 jars which I can clean every 2 or 3 days and spent enough time on each one, instead of having 100 jars and that I'll just give up when they're 3 months old or so
Old 08-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You can scoop eggs out of the nest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it if you do it properly and it saves you from having to kill healthy fish. Honestly though, this is your first spawn, and you are going to lose a lot in the early stages. It happened to all of us, so I don't recommend removing any eggs or fry (unless you get hundreds of fry... But that isn't too likely). It's unlikely you will end up with more then 80 fry in the end and if half of those are males, that's only forty jars.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #9 
JustMe74

Thanks!
I've 'officially' bought the jars, and I'm gonna pick them up in 2 weeks
I stepped off of the heating pad, I'm just gonna put all jars in a low storage box with water and put a heater in there
There fit much more jars in a box than on a heating pad

Is it bad to change the juveniles jars? Because to change the water, I'd take a spare jar, put new water in, put the bett in with a betta scoop (which i just ordered!) and throw the old water away
So I put every betta in the jar from the previous one. Would this be bad? Like when one has a dissease and another one goes in the jar (but with new, fresh water in it) it could also get the dissease?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #10 
Lamb

You just have to wash the jars in HOT water and let them cool. Otherwise that's what I do with my new bettas in QT cups in the tank, but you need to make sure the temperature is the exact same as the water the betta was in, I use 2 different thermometers to make sure, a digital aquarium thermometer and a infrared thermometer I use to check my baby's temperature and also had settings for room or surface temps.