Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #1 
Bootsie

He's turned on me!

My Max is changing colors. I understand darkening can happen when water conditions improve but I've had him for several months. When I first got him he was flat opaque. this past month he's had some black spotting. since i've removed him from the spawning tank he's really turning black on his body. I don't have his first pictures but here is last week and just about 20 min ago. The black is spreading and getting darker. Water conditions and heating is fine. I thought maybe it's bruising from the spawning but he was gaining this color before he spawned. (his fins have been slightly curled since I got him)
Attached Images

Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #2 
nel3

its common for bettas to change colour over time. one of mine was a pineapple theme scaling pattern but now he has red/orange spots on the fins. another was blue turquoise and some white. he's now nearly all white blue shimmer with dark red spots on the forehead.

don't worry about his changing colours. bettas are a nice game of chance for changing their colours over time.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #3 
Bootsie

Yay, the drab black is turning into a pretty blue. I was hoping he'd keep his light fins but those seem to be going through the change as well. Thanks, I was scared for a few days because as you can see in the previous post that black was really dull and sickly looking. Now.. if his fins would hurry up and heal. Betta "Love hurts" I guess.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #4 
freeflow246

What a beautiful boy! I used to have a cellophane with just one greyish scale on his side. In the span of a few weeks he became completely speckled with black like your boy, and he stayed spotted for a while before reverting back to almost complete cellophane. He ended up drowning himself (sounds odd I know) so I never got to see what other fluctuations his coloring would have, but I've always wondered.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #5 
Bootsie

Thanks for the compliment on Max. I love him dearly. He may not be a betta beauty and a mutt in most senses but his personality is amazing. He's so playful and kind of wags his tail when he sees me. My son is allergic to furry critters so fish are our pets and he's as close to a dog as fishies can get. I guess I need to repaint my avatar, huh?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #6 
HeadlessLegoMom

*giggles to self* When I saw the title of this thread, I had visions of mutant bettas attacking their owners. I was wondering how a tiny pet could TURN on its owner. Oh, lack of sleep!

Yeah, your avatar nees an upgrade!
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #7 
Bootsie

Lol, not this guy, he's a lovie. Maybe my HMBF, Mule.. he's a fiesty one. Always flares at me no matter what treat I bring for him. I can see him creating an uprising.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #8 
HeadlessLegoMom

On the next DATELINE: When Bettas ATTACK!!!

Lock your doors and guard your children, it's an aquatic takeover. Tonight at Eleven. ;)
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote