Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 
Larthan

Someone talk me down from this...

I want to breed bettas.

So, I got my boy from Petsmart. He's happy, healthy (other than somehow mysteriously ripping his caudal fin - which has amazingly halfway healed already, in 24 hours), energetic, and in my opinion very pretty. He's a crowntail, his rays split into two at the ends. He's a red, with metallic gold fading to silver from dorsal to ventral on each scale, and a pretty silvery-white mottled face, and white tips to his fins (not enough to be a butterfly, but pretty nonetheless).

I don't yet have a female, but I have my eyes on a pretty little red-gold CT girl (and boy does he, too! He sits by my monitor, and when her pic comes up, he dances for her, including blowing bubbles and swaying his head side to side)...

Problem is, he's a petstore fish. He's likely just that - petstore quality. And I'm not sure if I should take the chance. I have the income to get her a tank, supplies, etc, and to get a spawn tank and jars for the spawn..

But then comes the whole "what will you do with them?" issue (I don't have any local fish stores near me - the petsmart alone is 45 minutes away), plus me wondering if it's really ethical for me to breed him.

So.. someone tell me I'm crazy? xD
Larthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #2 
CritterNut

Well, according to the look of AB, Crowntails aren't really popular right now :( I'm afraid that you wouldn't get many bites if you tried to sell them online, since crowntails are not really "trending" right now. I'm all for breeding the fish you love, not just for perfect genes, but the problem comes when all the fry need homes. :( I asked Myates once about scooping eggs out so you only get a certain amount of fry. She told me that doing so could make the male become upset, and he'd rather eat the eggs than let them be taken by someone, so that probably wouldn't be an effective method to get only a few eggs.
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #3 
Larthan

Well, the problem isn't if they're popular right now - if they're popular in 6 months or so is the deal. :P

And boyfriend isn't helping any. He's asking me why I haven't bought her yet. -_-
Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #4 
jesssan2442

I think you should wait awhile until you have a little more experience!! Research what you need and what type you want to breed! I would make sure you have all your bases covered before start!! ask yourself questions like, Do I have a place to sell them? Would I cull? do I have the space, time, money? Is this something I can really see myself doing? Make sure you are prepared!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well, his finnage is really low quality. That alone would be enough to stop me from breeding him. Otherwise, you should do research until you think you've done enough, then do even more!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #6 
Skyewillow

I wouldn't breed without more experience, BUT you could still get the girl anyways. ^_^
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #7 
TheTrojanBetta

I second Skyewillow's idea!
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #8 
Larthan

MattsBettas, would you mind giving me a rundown of what good vs bad fin quality would look like? I'm curious as to what makes his not good, vs others 'good' (or if someone's saying some are good, when they're really not). I can't seem to get an answer from anywhere other than "it depends on what you like!"
Old 08-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Erm, I'm not the most familiar with crowntails, but essentially you want a 180 degree caudal spread (tail makes "D" shape when flared), even rays (which he especially lacks), and at least 33% web reduction. Color should be solid with no washes (at least for your boy).

Typically quality is determined by the IBC standards.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #10 
karenluvsbettas623

I love your avatar! is it a portrait of this crowntail?

My opinion is that your fish is very pretty and if you want to breed for fun then go ahead. I'm sure you could find homes for all your fish if you gave them away for free but also keep in mind that it could be 100ths of them!

You also have to look at what you want to achieve by breeding. You are going to be spending allot of money on the startup equipment, not to mention time and energy. What are you looking to get out of this process? if you are just happy with doing it for the experience I guess that would make it worth while but know that you are probably not going to get quality fish out of this. I am no expert on show quality, but go on aquabid and look at all the male crowntails, they look nothing like yours, not even close.

Again, I don't want to discourage you. If you want to do it for the experience go ahead just make sure you can find good homes for all your fry. Goodluck :)
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crazy breeding temptation