Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #1 
BettaBelle983

Terracotta pots?

Moony's a HM. So he has some big fins. I want to use a terracotta pot in his tank as a place for him to hide but I'm not sure what size to buy. I have a 1.5 gallon tank. So if any of you have any suggestions please post them.

Thanks,
BettaBelle983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #2 
jeano

I get mine at Michaels. They have all different sizes from very small to medium size. And they are super cheap ie: less than a dollar!
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #3 
cowboy

I don't know the size either but also check dollar stores. I guess it would need to be big enough to turn around in?
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #4 
TurtleBarb

I suggest putting the pots in a container of water and testing if/how the pH changes over a few days. A few days at least, because the pot will give off air bubbles for a day or two, and the CO2 in the bubbles will affect pH while that's happening. I discovered that terracotta pots I bought at Michaels made the water very acidic, around 6, which is actually okay for a betta but was so different from the 7.6 water I use for water changes that I was concerned I might stress the fish from pH difference everytime I did a water change. They also turned the water orange, more so each passing day. My tank was only 3 gallons so it would be subject to faster pH changes than a larger tank. I tested terracotta pots I got from Home Depot, and they raised pH to 8.something. Other people find terracotta pots that don't affect pH at all. Whether they affect pH probably partly depends not only on the clay the pot is made from (they're not all created equal), but also on the buffering capacity of your particular water, which is why I suggest testing it out. I also suggest filling the hole in the pot with aquarium silicone (before you get the pot wet) so that fishy doesn't hurt himself trying to squeeze through the hole.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #5 
jeano

Hmm, I've never had mine effect PH or have air bubbles come from them. I generally soak mine in hot water for about an hour, rinse well, plug the hole with filter sponge and add it to tank.
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #6 
cowboy

Here's another option. They are generally sold as sets but the fish store broke the set and sold it to me for ten bucks. He can swim in one end and out the other. Honestly I've only seen my guy do it twice.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #7 
BettaBelle983

Cowboy what is that?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #8 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBelle983 View Post
Cowboy what is that?
It's some kind of rock or something with openings on both ends. They sell it along with a couple bigger ones in a set. I can't remember who makes it but I've seen it all over and just love the natural look of it
Old 08-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #9 
BettaBelle983

Could it be a piece made by Penn Plex? Penn Plax Stone Hideaway Aquarium Rock, Small http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Stone-Hid...560124&sr=1-47

I've been looking at buying one of these.

Tags
hiding places, terracotta pot