Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #1 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Opinions on plans?

I recently set up a 5.5 gallon divided tank for two males. It has live java fern and amazon swords (we'll see if they get too big) and I am planning on getting a moss ball for each side when I have the funds (cost me... way too much to set this up... -_-). I have a heater in there right now, keeping it at a toasty 79*, but I decided not to use the filter that came with the kit because I have had bad experiences with TopFin filters in the past (one of them sparked and nearly caught my house on fire once).

One of the males in the tank is a very heavily finned HMDT. The other is a HMPK. I am strongly considering not using a filter and perhaps upping the water changes a bit to 2x - 50% per week, but I wanted opinions on this. I know from experiences that filters aren't kind to heavy-finned fish, and I don't want to ruin his gorgeous fins! Also, I have discovered that the HMDT is mostly blind, so I don't want to have him getting stressed because he is being knocked into things he can't see hardly at all. He has trouble enough swimming as it is, a filter might make it all-but impossible.

So... do you guys think that 2 fifty percent water changes per week would be alright for this tank with all the live plants I have included? Also... I thought I remembered reading that tanks can cycle without a filter if they have enough plants. Is this true? Should I invest in more plants? Some Anubias, maybe?

I'd love some thoughts! I want to do what is best for my fish!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Member
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Why don't you put the filter on the HMPK's side? I like filters with spraybars because you can aim them at the back of the tank. This one gets good reviews. I bought the 202 and like it very much. They're not adjustable but, like I said, you can aim the spraybar at the back of the tank to break the flow. The 202 produces no ripple in the 3.5 gallon/6x12x12 section of my divided tank. Free shipping, too.

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-inte...r-if-201-.html
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #3 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Oooh, now there's an idea. I hadn't really thought too much about internal filters, but I think that one would fit pretty well on the HMPK's side and still leave him space to swim. So you don't think the HMDT will have issues with this filter? I mean... you said yours produces no current, really?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #4 
FirstBetta
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Did you consider a sponge filter? I used to look at sponge filters as a piece of junk before having used one. I now have one in my Betta tank and one in my QT. I stirred up the sand in my Betta tank when doing my last cleaning causing the water to get cloudy. It got cleared in less than an hour. I have the air throttled down that activates the sponge filter. My betta likes to hide behind the filter and the heater in the corner.

The QT filter was cycled by putting it in the display tank for a couple of weeks before I put it in the QT.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Member
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
The 202 is in with a HM and produces very little surface disturbance so I imagine the 201 would produce even less. I really like internal filters with spraybars because they eliminate the need to baffle. Plus, the 201 is only 1.2 x 4 x 1 inches; which is pretty small. The 202 runs 58 gallons per hour and the 201 42 gph.

Very quiet, too.

Oh, I forgot, I bought these Moss Balls from this seller and they are great. She sells different amounts. She sells 3 + 1 free for $25.00. Maybe you know someone who could split with you. Ones half this size are $9.00 in my PetSmart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Extra-...d#ht_64wt_1271
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #6 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
Did you consider a sponge filter? I used to look at sponge filters as a piece of junk before having used one. I now have one in my Betta tank and one in my QT. I stirred up the sand in my Betta tank when doing my last cleaning causing the water to get cloudy. It got cleared in less than an hour. I have the air throttled down that activates the sponge filter. My betta likes to hide behind the filter and the heater in the corner.

The QT filter was cycled by putting it in the display tank for a couple of weeks before I put it in the QT.
I had not considered a sponge filter, really, because I know next to nothing about them. I have read they are great for producing very little to no current, and I know they are a favorite of breeders. I've never used one, seen one, or made one before, though.

I do have a number of cycled tanks, though, so it wouldn't be difficult to get a cycle established in this 5.5 if I got a filter in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
The 202 is in with a HM and produces very little surface disturbance so I imagine the 201 would produce even less. I really like internal filters with spraybars because they eliminate the need to baffle. Plus, the 201 is only 1.2 x 4 x 1 inches; which is pretty small. The 202 runs 58 gallons per hour and the 201 42 gph.

Very quiet, too.

Oh, I forgot, I bought these Moss Balls from this seller and they are great. She sells different amounts. She sells 3 + 1 free for $25.00. Maybe you know someone who could split with you. Ones half this size are $9.00 in my PetSmart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Extra-...d#ht_64wt_1271
It really looks like an awesome filter and I am sorely tempted to give it a try. Especially since it's only ten bucks. I can't afford to be dropping another 30-40, but I think I can swing ten bucks lol.

Wow, are those moss balls really that big? Those are tempting, too... but I wouldn't need all of them, and that's a wee bit pricey just for the moment. I've been holding off on buying the moss balls until my next paycheck, I figure the boys are alright without them for a week or two. Sadly, none of my friends are into fish (well... I do have one friend who just bought her first betta...), so I couldn't split it with anyone. Hm... it *is* a good deal... and moss balls can be chucked into ANY tank...
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Member
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
It really looks like an awesome filter and I am sorely tempted to give it a try. Especially since it's only ten bucks. I can't afford to be dropping another 30-40, but I think I can swing ten bucks lol.

Wow, are those moss balls really that big? Those are tempting, too... but I wouldn't need all of them, and that's a wee bit pricey just for the moment. I've been holding off on buying the moss balls until my next paycheck, I figure the boys are alright without them for a week or two. Sadly, none of my friends are into fish (well... I do have one friend who just bought her first betta...), so I couldn't split it with anyone. Hm... it *is* a good deal... and moss balls can be chucked into ANY tank...
Yeah, and that $10.00 includes shipping. I was amazed they don't have a minimum purchase for free shipping.

The Marimo Balls were very healthy. Can you cut them in half and roll them into smaller pieces? My shrimp love them.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #8 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Oh, I have no issue with how big they are. I actually kind of like the huge moss balls. Although to be honest, the ones at my petsmart aren't tiny like some I've seen. And they are very healthy, though they are $8 apiece. I'd love to eventually have a moss ball in each tank, but that'll have to come slowly, as money permits. I've already spent way, WAY more on fish than I ever should have.

The filter I am seriously considering getting. But the moss balls will probably have to wait, sadly. I just finished planning my first vacation in over ten years, so I have to budget for that now. I would never skimp on what my fish need, but moss balls are a want, not a need.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Member
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
One of the hardest lessons in life is to learn the difference between "want" and "need." I swear I'm still learning.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #10 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Hahaha I feel ya! I'm still learning it, too, and it doesn't help that my bipolarism makes me incredibly prone to impulses. But I have learned to step back and think about things and really determine whether I simply *want* something, or if I really do need it. Heaters? Those are needs. Moss balls? Wants.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plans Bettawolf19 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 35 06-21-2011 07:51 PM
Opinions on new filter / Opinions on neutralizer blocks AKD1727 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 06-20-2011 10:11 PM
So, What Are Your Plans? JKfish Betta Chat 18 10-11-2010 11:02 PM
My plans Drowzy Betta Fish Care 18 04-21-2010 11:34 PM
My 10 gallon plans! SaylorKennedy Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 15 10-26-2009 08:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.