Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #1 
vstheworld

Two questions about my fishies

Hi all,
First I wanted to say this is a great site, I've learned a lot of helpful info by visiting.

I have two questions that hopefully someone will be able to answer for me:

I have two bettas each in their own 2.5 gallon tank with heater, conditioned water, plants and some hiding spots. The tanks are set end to end with about two inches between. Normally I've had an aquarium background in between them so my bettas wouldn't see each other. A few days ago I removed it, thinking they might be more active if they have someone to "compete" with. Generally I put the aquarium background back in place when I go to work and at the end of the night. My question is: Is that too stressful for them? They will flare at each other for a half hour or so then go off and ignore the other occasionally swim back to flare and dance for a bit again.

My second question is yesterday morning when I went to go feed them I saw what looked like smoke in one tank! It was white, and opaque in a halo around the heater (about two inches in diameter). I quickly sucked it all out and turned off the heater as that's where it looked like it was coming from. After work I bought and installed a new heater after doing a 50% water change. I haven't noticed my betta looking or acting sick so hepefully all is well. Has anyone experienced this or know what had happened? I pulled the old heater apart but didn't notice any signs of melting or charring...

Thanks for any info!
vstheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think it's too stressful for your bettas to see each other all the time. Mine are all right next to each other and they have no problem with it. They pretty much learn to ignore each other. I think they are smart enough to figure out that they can't get to each other.As far as your heater problem goes, I can't help you . It's probably good that you got a new one.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote