Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #11 
tigerhappy26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlove2350 View Post
Lol my tank is a 5 gal and yes I took out half the water. And how much egg yolk should I put and exactly how do I feed it to them? Do I crush it up or keep it whole?
Are the fry in their own tank or still with the parents?
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #12 
tigerhappy26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Since its your first spawn most will probs die. The fry have a critical stage when the become free swimming and if they dont get food withing this stage many will starve. Feed em a chunk of boiled egg yolk mixed in water if you dont have live food. How big is your tank? the bigger it is, the harder it is for the fry to find the food.
Also hope like hell that you dont end up with 100 fry and 95% of them being males lol.

Ps. bettas arent live bearers
I hear you could feed them mosquito larvae? If so she could probably leave out a bucket overnight and feed them the larvae I'm on a site that says they can eat newlt hatched larvae
Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #13 
tigerhappy26

Quoted from http://bettacrazed.angelcities.com/c...dMosquitoLarva
Newly Hatched Mosquito Larva

Newly hatched mosquito larva is a great addition to your frys' meals. Do not feed any sort of mosquito larva to very young fry because the larva could attack the fry. Feed newly hatch mosquito larva to fry that are 2 weeks or older. Newly hatched mosquito larva is not easy to catch but it is very easy to find the egg rafts that the larva hatch from in a few days. Simply go to a pond that doesn't have fish, a puddle or (a never ending supply of wonderful live foods) a horse water trough.

Anywhere there are mosquito larva there are usually egg rafts. The egg rafts look like small floating bits of charcoal but on closer examination there are tiny cells where the eggs lay. Collect these rafts by gently scooping them up and placing them in a container with some water from the collection site. When you get home examine the container and water to make sure you didn't bring home any other organisms that could attack your fry.

Place the egg rafts (not the water!) in the fry tank and in a few days there will hundreds of larva floating at the surface of the tank. The larva go through their life cycle in fresh water so they will not die and pollute the tank. The fry will eat them all before they grow any larger and develop into mosquito. During the time the larva are in the tank it is not necessary to feed any other foods and doing so may result in overfeeding and a polluted tank.
Quoted from http://bettacrazed.angelcities.com/c...dMosquitoLarva
Old 08-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #14 
Sweetlove2350

The fry are still with the dad. Tomorrow they will be 3 days old.
Sweetlove2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #15 
shannonpwns

Did you get any food for them.....?
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #16 
Sweetlove2350

Can't. Buying going to try boiled egg yolk and crushed flakes. Wasn't prepared at all but I deffinately will be next time.
Sweetlove2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Was this an accidental breeding?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #18 
bambijarvis

My first spawn didn't have "live" food.
I had various powder foods(spirulina and APR) decap brine shrimp eggs, and egg yolk.
more than half the fry that hatched lived.
Most of the ones who died were do to a heater shorting out.

To feed the egg you can pinch off a tiny bit and mush it around in a spoon with some tank water. dip you finger(clean) into the egg then kinda swish your finger in the tank(I used a q-tip when I did this xD).
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

The problem with using egg yolk is that it will foul your water .
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #20 
jadaBlu

I bought a fish from this breeder past that I don't know much about him. I seem to remember he is in Louisiana somewhere. Try emailing him maybe he is close by or can get what you need quick enough. You could maybe pay him by Paypal or something for food.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...r&Jimxiong5749

I am not breeding but I've read enough to see you could really have your hands full if they survive. Post pictures of the parents I am curious to see what the fish look like.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lebronthebetta