Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #1 
bettababe321

Question Popeye and not eating?

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum so heres a little about my situation:
I have one betta (Cosmo) in a 1.5 gallon tank. I would like to have him in something bigger but my dorm room wont allow it. He is fed about 2 betta bits pellets twice a day. I have had him for about nine months and have had no problems untill now. I change about 50% of the water everyweek. I noticed on Sunday that Cosmos right eye was kind of bulging out of his head and had a whitish film over it, he also didn't seem to want to eat. After doing some research I'm pretty sure it's called popeye. My local aquarium store prescibed Maracyn. I've been putting the recomended amout in his talk since monday so today will be the third dose. It says to use 5 doses total. I'm worried because while he is more active today than he has been in the past couple of days, he is still not eating. He tries to but its almost like he cant see the pellets, he swims around underneath them but never actually grabs one. He did finally get one this morning but then spit it back out!!! I'm sorry for such a long post I'm just confused and worried about the little guy any suggestions would be awesome!
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #2 

Try soaking pellets in aquarium water or treated water(Dechlorinated) to soften them.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #3 
Elisew

It`s also a good idea to do more than one water change a week in a 1.5G tank. Many people here will tell you, clean water can solve so many problems.
Hopefully he`ll get better soon.

Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #4 
AlfaTheBeta

My first beta, alpha, had popeye. he wouldnt eat too. I gaye him macracyn as well. about a week later he got his apetite back.

I hope your beta gets better. best of wishes for the little guy.
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #5 
bettababe321

Hes finally eating again! but the popeye still hasn't gone away. Its been 5 days of the maracyn should I keep using it untill it goes away? It says the five day treatment can be repeated but I don't want to keep medicating him if he doesnt need it. I will deffinitely do a water change today before I start it again but is it ok to do water changes during the treatment? Thanks for your help!
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote