Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would think you could put an ice pack in a ziploc bag and float it in the tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #12 
Nataku

Cooling down the tank is okay, but don't cool it down too fast! Too fast (even if it stays within the betta's normal range) will put them in shock, and they can die. Bettas are hardy little guys, bear in mind that they come from Thailand and other south-east asian countries, and they have extremely hot summers there. The water in some of the rice paddies and ponds they live in with stagnant water become quite warm too, and no one puts ice cubes out there for the fish.
I've known someone who has kept bettas in outdoors tanks in Florida. The summers here are also extremely hot and I'm sure that water was well above 90 some days. The bettas went through that just fine. It's not so much a hot temperature that kills the betta, its the rapid change I think that does it.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #13 
IonBaller07

I would reccomend changing the water, I hadmine atg like 85 and I wanted to cool it, I filled a bag FULL of ice and floated it. It lowered the temperature 1 degree before the bag was just full of tank temp water.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

When you use ice bags, the water temperature should be monitored.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote