Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 
bradleyjames77

Question plant profile and aquarium safe?

I found these floating plants growing in the minnow bowl outside that I use to put my clippings and extra plants in and soon to be extra MTS.These floating plants are very tiny and bright green with a root growing out about 1/4 inch.If anyone could tell me what they are and if there safe to put in my NPT I would really appreciate it.I also put a picture of my NPT just to flaunt it :P
Attached Images

bradleyjames77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #2 
shannonpwns

It looks like duckweed.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #3 
bradleyjames77

That was my first thought also but I thought duckweed was bigger...if it is duckweed that would be awesome because no local pet stores around here carry it and I want some, I think ill scoop a little bit up and throw it in, thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup it's duckweed, the regular kind. You're probably thinking of Giant Duckweed which isn't much bigger but it is bigger than the regular kind. One little thing of duckweed can survive in a filter and then suddenly, PLANTS! lol they're quite invassive but safe for all fish excluding goldfish who will eat them haha

Actually I saw one of my Betta girl's turned vegetarian and ate a few of the duckweeds XD I thought it was rather funny honestly
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #5 
bradleyjames77

Thank yall very much for clarifying that its duckweed!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #6 
shannonpwns

Yea duckweed is TINYYYYY. Way smaller than I thought it would be when I got some lol. I wanna put some in my pond also, but it'll just get sucked into the filter box. :(
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #7 
bradleyjames77

Im having that trouble with the duckweed now! I have my filter running because I just set my tank up and the duckweed floats right into the filters flow, im trying to concentrate it in my hornwort until the the duckweed starts to flourish, how long should this take?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #8 
Aluka

make sure u actually want duckweed before adding. BECAUSE THEY ARE IMMPOSSIBLE TO GET RID OF. sorry for the caps.... but yea.. once u have duckweed, u have it forever.... even if you remove every leave... half a leave will hide somewhere and then a week later.... lots and lots and lots...

its like that cute guy you had a crush on and then realize he is a creep... yea now he'll never go away!
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #9 
bradleyjames77

I cant compare duckweed to your analogy for im a guy lol but I think ill enjoy my duck weed, I love the way the roots grow into the water amd any extra will go back into the minnow bowl
Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #10 
Mashiro

Duckweed is great for absorbing ammonia and it's pretty! I think it's good all around. I got my duckweed from a shipment of anacharis plants. There must have been a piece of duckweed in there because one appeared floating one day and now I have tons!

Also, if you have trouble with it being sucked up by the filter, I recommend using the Fluval Pre-filters that fit on the intake of the filter. They're really wonderful because they hold beneficial bacteria and it keeps your betta's fins from getting sucked in and torn up.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote