Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #1 
CaptainFalcon

Question 20 gallon betta + neon tetras

Today, I introduced 3 small neon tetras in to the 20 gallon tank where only my betta lives. the betta is chasing them alot around the tank. I am wondering if it is playful chasing, or hostile. Please give me some useful feedback, thanks!

Last edited by CaptainFalcon; 04-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.
CaptainFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #2 
froglady

Im not sure if the chasing is hostile or not. I myself wouldnt house the betta with other fish. but its your choice I guess. I once kept my betta with a small african drawf frog. they got along fine. Im getting a betta today. and he will have his own tank.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #3 
Debbie23

My Fiance and I just set up our aquarium up the other day and we bought fish Thursday night. We bought a Betta, a Male Fancy tail Guppy and 3 other ones i know thier name starts with a m. but my betta does fine with the fish he just swims around minding his own business. My fiance used to work with Fish at walmart and did all kind of studying on them . and believe me Thursday i was asking him all kinds of questions cause I didn't want the betta to hurt the other fish and he said they would do fine together. and they are. your betta just might be trying to get used to them since he was the only fish in the tank to begin with. hope this kinda helps.
Debbie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #4 
CaptainFalcon

yeah thanks guys, the chasing seemed more hostile to me so i just put in a divider.. so far its working out pretty well (I made sure to give my betta a little more space than he needed ^_^)
CaptainFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #5 
Chicklet

If there giving chase it's pretty much a given "Hostile" And if they ever catch up with them, They will slowly rip them up to the point of death. You wanna hope they gpt lots of hiding places, and that won't last forever,

Plus the stress and fear your putting them thru just isn't right,... If you care about your neons I would remove them,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #6 
annyjay

You might want to move the tetras

Had a very similar thing happen. Had I known what the betta's intention was, I would have moved the tiny fish. Unfortunately, just watched one of my bettas eat one of the tetras (couldn't do a thing for the poor little guy). Read somewhere that younger smaller bettas are safe with tetras but once they grow - watch out. My red boy proved that this afternoon.
annyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, bettas will eat neon tetras.I had one years ago that did that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #8 
ThePearlFish

My 3 Jumbo Neon tetras absolutely worship my Betta. They constantly follow him everywhere like he's the king of fish or something. Occasionally Speedbump (the Betta) chases one out of the way a bit, but it has never been outright hostile.

I truly think it depends on the Betta's personality, likes and dislikes etc. and I don't believe just because one Betta is okay with tank-mates that another will be too.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #9 
Fishin Pole

it will all depend on the personality of the betta.........some wont mind tankmates, others will not put up with any other fish in the tank........Putting the divider in the tank was the best solution
Fishin Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Trust me, remove them
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote