Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #1 
Indefinitive

He's not doing too well. =(

My boyfriend has officially told me that Fiyero probably doesn't have very long left. I've been treating him for ich rather aggressively, but a recent turn of events has caused him to go blind. I've been doing water changes every two or three days in his 10 gallon tank, due to his treatment. He is on day 7 of his treatment. It says to only treat for 3 days, but I've read up on the ich parasite, and it says that their cycle can last up for two weeks, so I lengthened his treatment. I'm treating with Nox-Ich.

I'm not letting another one die. I feel terrible for what happened to Wilson, and I don't want to let Fiyero die, too. He isn't eating, most likely because he can't see his food. He has a white thing that looks like a fungus on his fins. He came home with fin rot.

Two questions. Does he have a chance of making it out of this? And did I make him go blind by extending his treatment?
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you've done the best you can for him. I think he was sick when you got him. Please don't feel like you've done anything to cause him to go blind. I don't know if he'll make it or not but it sounds like he's had great care and lots of love.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #3 
Curegirl80

I am treating my betta with a med for protozoan parasites. He stopped eating and starting sinking and had some sort of white, lint looking thing dangle from his fins. As soon as I medicated him this morning, he seems to have perked up some. :)

The name of the med I got is called Quick Cure. Good luck. I hope he makes it.
Curegirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 AM   #4 
onekatietwo

I don't know if this will help you, but my Betta got some gross fungus looking thing growing from his fins and face a couple days after I got him. He got really listless and didn't eat much and wouldn't flare at all.

I read up on bacteria that infect fish and thought that it might be that. The bacteria that made the long flowly fungus looking things really likes warm water so I SLLLOWWWLLLYYY turned the temp of the tank down to about 72-ish and it fixed my fish VERY quickly.

Maybe you could try that as a last resort? If he has the long flowy fungus looking things like mine did...

Good luck.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #5 
Indefinitive

The temperature in his tank is 84. If he is dying, then at least he'll be comfortable.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #6 
Indefinitive

Fiyero passed away sometime between 1:30pm and 5:00pm today. I came home from work and my boyfriend had already flushed him and cleaned out his tank.

I cried. Again.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Flyero. I know he'll be missed and was loved very much. RIP Flyero.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote