Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #1 
whitedevil

death by suicide?

Well my betta done did it last night, just stepped and crushed his dehydrated body.

My daughter left the top open after feeding time last night and I didnt notice it, just woke up and Clifford the big red fish is not cliffford the crispy fish. Please double check your lids at night I never had a betta do this before but alas it happened. I didnt think his life was that bad, I mean he was unemployed and all but he had a fresh bed every night, fresh hikari frozen foods and veggies and fruits, just check your tops folks.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #2 
IonBaller07

Aww, sorry to hear that...fresh fruits and veggies ? I thought bettas are carnivores.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, hey are carnivorous. I'm sorry to hear about Clifford. This is a reminder to us all to keep lids on because bettas WILL jump.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #4 
whitedevil

I was sleep walkling is why it happened, yes they will eat fruits and veggies too, not as a diet but to nibble on. Even my red devil used to eat fruits and veggies. All carnivores need some veggie/fruit nourishment in their lives its not a staple diet its a once a week maybe once a month treat.

Figured it out, cat wasnt in my room when I went to bed, closed and locked door, cat woke me up at 415 this morning trying to get out..... I finally managed to kill something in my sleep so I am getting alarms for the door and fish tank lid. Sounds dumb but I was asleep didnt know what I was doing, it cost me a fish and a brand new pack of hikari blood worms. Bogus.

Im not sure if I should replace him yet, its my daughters fish and she just old me he is sleeping in the sand, shes only 3.

What about females? can you house them together in pairs of groups of 3 or are they like the males and fight for territory not death( bettas dont fight to the death, one flees the other does not follow.)
Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #5 
Nataku

Females need to be kept in sororities, that is, groups of at least four. Any thing less (like a pair or a threesome) and the dominant female will simply badger the other female to death. Spread out over four or more they generally develop a hierarchy of sorts, and don't have a chance to pick on one betta as much. Then again, one must also bear in mind, that just like males, the females each have their own personality, and some will get along better than others.
And bettas will chase each other even after one is clearly the victor. If they are stuck in the tank together the other betta, be it male or female will continue to harass the one attempting to flee, because they are still in the betta's 'territory.'
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Keep the lid on ALL THE TIME. They will eventually jump.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #7 
whitedevil

The lid is on all the time, I sleep walk and I guess I was in the tank last night. I always have a lid on the tank, no tank should be without one.

Nat, bettas dont fight to the death, they dont kill eachother, one flees and either recovers or dies from wounds.

I jsut wanted to know the females temperment basically.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #8 
Curegirl80

Whitedevil, sorry to hear that.

However, anywhere I have read (other forums, google, etc) do state that bettas will kill each other. Better safe than sorry.

I've also heard that sororities are not as easy as they seem.
Curegirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats true about the sororities. I think the females have to have the right personalities for it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #10 
whitedevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curegirl80 View Post
Whitedevil, sorry to hear that.

However, anywhere I have read (other forums, google, etc) do state that bettas will kill each other. Better safe than sorry.

I've also heard that sororities are not as easy as they seem.
true, better safe then sorry but I forgot to add that I was talking about in the wild. I apologize for neglecting to mention that. I would need atleast a 40 breeder to keep two males together, alot of plants and alot of caves. They can live side by side as long as they have firmly established territory and alot of sight breaks. even that is pushing it size wise.

Its a downfall of the betta, they are so egotistical they all have to be alpha.

I am thinking of a real nice one next, what sub species of splendens are real big( DM's?) and more docile then a veil or CT?