Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #1 
rockstar26

tank decorations?

is it just me or does it seem like over the last year or so there's barely anything out there for fishtanks? alot of the decorations i'm finding look super cheap yet are marked up pretty high.... quality has really gone DOWN hill....

i've found Walmart has better prices on fishtanks, petco has a bigger assortment of bettas, petsmart hasn't had anything worthy of a darn, and well pet supermarket has a couple plants....

oh yes and target, well they don't have ANYTHING in the store for fish except goldfish food!

anyone have any other recommendations?
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #2 
Campbell

I've started looking for decorations in places other than the fish section. I found a really nice rock formation in the craft section for a fraction of the price.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cool idea to get something from a craft store. My Walmart had decorations for tanks but a lot of it was broken! I looked for a bridge for a month but every time they had one, it was broken but I finally found 2 that weren't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #4 
Nataku

I've generally found that when it comes to decorations, local, non big-chain petstores tend to have a better variety of different tank stuff, as I can find the same little castle or bridge at Wal-mart, Pet-co and Petsmart around here.

I also tend to make a lot of decorations on my own, holdover from marine science classes. If you have a local gravel or slate rock store in your area (or even a quarry itself for your northern folks) swing by there and ask to have a look around. You can generally find some great rocks or all sorts of shapes and sizes, and get them for WAY cheaper than what you'd have to dish out for something comparable at a petstore. I've built many a rock cave from rocks from a local gravel store. Just stack the rocks as your please in the tank. If you have very energetic or destructive fish (or just want to be safe) get some aquarium silicone and "glue" the rocks together. Doing this allows you to build much more complaex and intricate structures.

Also, check your local hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, Scotty's, etc) for PVC. It's safe to use in tanks - just give it a good soak and scrub treatment every day for a couple days before going into a tank. I've used PVC piping in reef tanks as well as fresh water, works fine. You can find some really fun shapes to make into cave and tunnel systems by looking at the various PVC joints your hardware store carries. You can either leave them whole and just half bury them in subsrtae to keep them from rolling about the tank, or chop them in half. If you want a more "natural" look in your tank, just coat the PVC with whatever substrate you have in your tank (be it gravel or sand, or even glass beads, it matters not) . Just smear on the silicone and then roll the pvc in whatever you want it to be covered with, let it dry and air for a few days, whal-la you have a cave customized for your tank.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #5 
rockstar26

id love to see what you found.... for inspiration!
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #6 
onekatietwo

Somebody should start a thread entirely of DIY aquarium decorations, pictures, and ideas becuase the price of store bought stuff is just totally absurd.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #7 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekatietwo View Post
Somebody should start a thread entirely of DIY aquarium decorations, pictures, and ideas becuase the price of store bought stuff is just totally absurd.
GOOD idea!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

There is a diy section on the forum listed under Aquarium Resources.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just caught Rusty sleeping under his new bridge!!! lol