Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #1 
TiffanyP

I couldn't resist!

I rescued Gaston a week ago today from Walmart. He wasn't the worst looking betta, but definitely the prettiest one and in a most unique color! He has a bit of fin rot on the end of his caudal fin (that is healing up quite nicely with clean fresh water) and his fins are a bit raggedy and curly too, probably from the hard/dirty water. But would you look at how handsome this guy is? :) I had a big scare with him about 3 days after I brought him home - he was really lethargic and either lying at the bottom of the tank or doing a kind of 'death hang' at the top. I'm still not sure what it was, possibly a combination of stress and constipation, but he has recovered from that remarkably well and I am so tickled to have him join my little fish family :) Gaston, unlike my baby betta Alaric, is a natural model. He'll stop in the most perfect of poses and gives my camera just enough time to capture them. Getting a good picture of Alaric on the other hand is like trying to catch a greased pig haha you think you have him and - nope, all you got was his tail haha

The first picture is from 2 days after I got him. Less than 24 hours after that he fell ill. The second picture is also from 2 days after I got him. And the 3rd picture is from today, marking his first week with me :)

Thanks for letting me show off my newest boy :)
Attached Images

TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 
blufish425

He's lovely, what a great color! I also have a wal mart rescue :)
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #3 
whatsupyall

Wow, he's gorgeous. Love the lighting too.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #4 
TiffanyP

Thanks :) blufish I love that one of your fish is named Ampersand! That's my favorite punctuation mark :D

whatsupyall - I love the lighting too. I'm not sure what kind of bulb it is exactly - it's from an old tank strip light we had in the basement, but I'm hoping to find a similar bulb to replace it with when I get the hood for his tank on Monday. It really shows off his true color :)
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 
TiffanyP

Talking

We're back from vacation and he's settled in so nicely to his home :) His fins are still healing but I think they're looking pretty good! His tank sits at about 78 - the house I live in is cold, usually about 66-68 degrees, so by sitting at 78 it doesn't drop as much at night. Ideally I'd like it to be about 80, but he's not having any problems at 78, so there it will stay :) He's a picky eater, much like my Alaric is. On vacation all I had on hand for fish food were NLS small fish formula pellets that I feed Alaric so that's what he ate for the first 9 days I had him. After I got back I bought him some NLS betta pellets... the silly fish won't touch them! He tried one and then tried once more, and then spit it out and didn't touch it again. Tried another one... wouldn't touch it. NLS small fish formula? Gobbles that down like there's no tomorrow haha so for his mid-day 'snack' I'm going to start giving him some of the smaller NLS betta pellets to see if he'll eat those. Kind of warm him into it I think. His tank isn't filtered at the moment, but I'm going to add one in on Sunday (so that way the water changes for both tanks are on the same day). I don't think he'll have any issues with it :) And that's the latest on my boy Gaston! Hope you enjoy the pictures - he's a natural model :)

And a random question: Are solid orange bettas hard to find? I read somewhere that people have a hard time finding them - is that true?
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #6 
TiffanyP

Before and After

I was looking at pictures from the day I got Gaston, August 2nd and comparing them with how he looks today and it's absolutely incredible how much he's changed. The first picture is when I got him. He was clamped up and dealing with some fin rot and his fins were also curling. The second picture is from today, and aside from him looking really red (he's actually a peachy/sunset orange) that's how his fins are all the time! Nice and spread out, and he's always swimming around :) And yes, he did take a nip out of his tail the other day. The dead fin was falling off and I think it was itchy for him so it just bit it off. As you can probably see, we're still working on the fin rot: it's not getting any worse so I'm treating it with every other day 50% water changes and stress coat. It's not bothering him one bit so I'm trying to let it heal on it's own. Until it does start bothering him or if it starts spreading - no salt treatment til then :)
Attached Images