Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #11 
RussellTheShihTzu

I forgot to add: My only experience has been with CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand; others, especially those not specifically for aquarium use, should be treated as Lebron said. Sorry.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #12 
Tototoro

I'll go with the CaribSea Sand. Some variation of it anyways. While we're on the topic......I'm planning on getting some fake plants.....I remember in the past I had a tough time keeping the plants from floating up. Any tips on how to keep them anchored to the sand? Thanks again in advance
Tototoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #13 
babystarz

I use Quikrete Fine Grain sand. It's completely inert silica and does not need to be washed before hand. It also has such fine particles that they settle instantly. You just have to be careful adding water to the tank because you'll create a sandstorm if you pour too fast. Best part: it's $4 for a 50 pound bag at Home Depot or Lowes. It looks like white beach sand. I've been using it for my planted tanks for over a year with no negative effects.

You can buy plant weights, just make sure you know what they're made of so you don't have metal corroding in your tank.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #14 
TurtleBarb

I use river stones as weights. If the plant already has a base, you can use aquarium silicone to glue a rock to it. If you don't want the plant to be any taller than it already is, glue a rock to the side of the base, rather than setting the base on top of the rock and gluing it stacked. If the plant doesn't have a base, here's what I do: I get a river stone, wrap it in fishing line several times, knot the line securely to the rock, and then spread a thin layer of aquarium cement along the knot and fishing line on one side so it doesn't slip off. I cut the excess line after the glue dries. You can try just wrapping the rock without gluing, but it may slip loose over time.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #15 
TurtleBarb

Here's a pic of what I mean. If you want to re-use the rock, tie a little bead on it like I did. Then you can thread string through the bead and tie plants to it as many times as you want. I use these rocks in a bare-bottom tank, so I used a tiny clear bead. If you're going to bury the anchor rock in gravel, you might as well use a bigger bead. It's easier to run string through a bigger bead.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #16 
TurtleBarb

Sorry, my instructions were confusing. If you don't tie a bead on, you will of course need to NOT cut the thread ends after the glue dries. If you cut the threads off, you won't have anything to tie to the plant!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #17 
RussellTheShihTzu

It's easier to put plastic plants in sand. They will stay anchored better than in gravel.

Live plants are helpful to water quality and also help cycle the tank. But if you get fake plants, make sure the edges are smooth (run a piece of hose over them).
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #18 
Tototoro

http://www.caribsea.com/itempage_mar...ceandirect.htm

I just bought this sand......before I throw it in the tank, I'm a bit afraid its the wrong type :(. Any reassurance please! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

That's for salt water tanks... You should return it.

Your fish won't really tolerate that, they'll feel sick.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #20 
Tototoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
That's for salt water tanks... You should return it.

Your fish won't really tolerate that, they'll feel sick.

I was afraid of that. Yea, I just noticed that when I got home and figured I'd better ask before I started setting up. I just wasn't sure if it'd be okay since it doesn't actually include any salt etc.