Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #21 
LebronTheBetta

Oh okay, good. :]

I went to the link, and it says it has a small film of ocean water.. It has bacteria, but as said before, ocean water.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #22 
Tototoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Oh okay, good. :]

I went to the link, and it says it has a small film of ocean water.. It has bacteria, but as said before, ocean water.
Thanks for your help =). I'm just in the midst of getting everything ready and setting everything up before I even get a betta fish. Figured it'd be my best bet to ask the pros before I actually get him and put him in! Doing all my research before i jump into it!!
Tototoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #23 
TurtleBarb

It's always nice to hear when someone researches ahead of time. :)
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #24 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I use Quikrete Fine Grain sand. It's completely inert silica and does not need to be washed before hand. It also has such fine particles that they settle instantly. You just have to be careful adding water to the tank because you'll create a sandstorm if you pour too fast. Best part: it's $4 for a 50 pound bag at Home Depot or Lowes. It looks like white beach sand. I've been using it for my planted tanks for over a year with no negative effects
I think I'll look into this sand. I want to switch my 10 gallon tank over to sand because I just got panda cories. Do you have any cories or similar fish in with this kind?

Has anyone used petcos freshwater sand? It comes in black and white, I didn't look at it in the store, but one of the reviews on the website said its not really a fine sand but more like tiny pebbles.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #25 
JamieL

Anyone here used this caribsea instant aquarium??

http://www.caribsea.com/itempage_fre...ntaquarium.htm
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #26 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I used this and am very, very happy. It's for both freshwater and saltwater.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21432
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #27 
JamieL

Thanks! Do you have any cories by any chance? I'm only switching because I just got a few cories and I know they do better on sand. If you remember, I divided my ten gallon for the two boys. It just did not work out. I gave it time, I made the divider opaque, I put plants in the way...they never chilled out. Maybe they would have if I gave it more time, but the CT started tail biting and it was getting worse and worse. Then I saw the VTs tail was raggedy, and I don't have anything in the tank he could have injured it on...enough was enough. I put the vt in a 5 gallon, and I added 4 panda cories to captain hooks 10 gallon. They're SO much happier. I was a little worried about him going after the cories but it seems like he actually enjoys their company. It was the best thing I did.

Anyway, I've been searching around and some people say TMS is too sharp for cories?? I wonder if other caribsea sands would be better, I kind of like the look of white also. I wonder if people aren't being overly crazy about one sand vs another in that regard though, I'm sure the TMS is probably just fine.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #28 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I have it in with Pygmy Cories with no problems. There's also this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21412
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #29 
JamieL

I contacted caribsea this morning to get their opinion on the best sand of theirs for cories, this is what I got. They answered me fast, too
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #30 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
I think I'll look into this sand. I want to switch my 10 gallon tank over to sand because I just got panda cories. Do you have any cories or similar fish in with this kind?

Has anyone used petcos freshwater sand? It comes in black and white, I didn't look at it in the store, but one of the reviews on the website said its not really a fine sand but more like tiny pebbles.
I do not have cories, but if the size and shape of the grains is a concern, I can assure you this is the softest, most uniform sand I've found, with the tiniest sand grains. They look like grains of sugar.

Most sand advertised as "fine grain" isn't very fine at all I've found, especially when it's specifically sold for fish. It's best to check out sand in person so you can judge it for yourself, if at all possible. Especially if you're paying a lot for it.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote