Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #41 
snowflake311

Sand keeps a tank cleaner I think. Poo and food can not get down in side it as easy.

I like plants substrate or sand I will never use the big gravle rocks again yuck.

For a tank with no plants sand all the way. Planted tanks use a plant substrate.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #42 
JamieL

Now I want to change all my tanks to sand! >:( what a waste of money in gravel. I just wish I had an easier way to clean it, I am using a turkey baster to pick up poops, but there are so many tiny ones, I guess from the cories, and its hard to suck them up without taking a bunch of sand with it.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #43 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliburr View Post
I've never used sand before, so maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you clean it properly once it's in your tank? Do you even need to? I intend to use MTS to burrow in the sand and help move it around and whatnot, but do I need to do anything else? I had gravel in my old goldfish tank, and that thing got so dirty all the time (because biOrbs are kinda crap) that I just dumped everything, rinsed it all off, and put everything back in with fresh water.
Ideally the snails and bb and plants will do the vast majority of the cleaning. I siphon near the sand during my rare water changes, but otherwise I let nature do its thing. In a well-balanced tank the eco-system is as closed as possible without intervention. Granted, I have natural dirt under a sand cap and a crazy amount of plants, I definitely had to work up to this point.

Sorry for taking forever to respond, I just bought a new house and I've been super busy.

Last edited by babystarz; 08-16-2013 at 06:16 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote