Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #11 
Starfish1

Thanks everyone! Got tons of great advice!

Before I posted on here I had just thrown out all the filter media because I didn't know what to do I and wanted to be safe rather than sorry. From now on once a month I will be just swishing the filter media around in the old tank water, and the parts of the filter around in the old tank water as needed.

Thanks!
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Wait, so there isn't any filter media at all?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #13 
Starfish1

There was a lot of filter media but when I noticed that my betta wasnt feeling so well but there weren't any problems with the water in the tank I started investigating and took apart the filter. That was when I noticed a bunch of brown sludge in there and cloudy water stuck in the bottom of the filter with brown sludge floating around. So I got really worried that there could be bad bacteria in there as well, so I threw everything out and decided to start over. I probably could have kept the filter media and just swished it around in the bucket, but it was before I had posted on here and I just wanted to play it safe. I think I waited too long without even doing a small cleaning inside the filter, but this is my first tank with a filter, and I didn't want to kill the beneficial bacteria so I just didn't clean inside there at all.

I am learning proper filter maintenance now

On a good note, my fish is doing much better, much more active he's gotten his color back so I think we are doing really well now! All I have to do now is re cycle the tank.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

There won't be much BB at the bottom, as the colony lives in the sponge.. But either way, good luck with the cycle! Hope your fish comes out unharmed. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #15 
scootshoot

Good luck! Yea, ignore the directions on the back of the filter box that says to change the filter media every month, it's only done as a sales pitch (get more money out of your pockets) on their end and will actually be more harmful to your aquatic inhabitants in the long run if you follow those directions.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #16 
Starfish1

Thanks guys!

You don't even change the carbon much do you from what I'm hearing you don't need to. Just swish it around in the bucket too right?