Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 
LouiMon

How can I make sure my Assassin snails get fed?

In just over two weeks, they've cleared out all the pond snails. Bravo, Altair, Ezio, and Connor.

Now I need to feed them. I drop some extra food for the snails and shrimp, but the shrimp don't seem to be sharing.

Is there something I can use that shrimp won't eat?
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 
redcharizard

i dont have a pond and i only have one snail but i take a small bucket/cup with tank water put a algae tablet in and then let the snail roam around in the bucket/cup till hes done eating
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

Maybe you should sell them in the classifieds to someone who needs them. I've read they will eat algae wafer but that is more out of desperation.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #4 
babystarz

This happened with my assassin too XD If you want to keep yours, you'll need to create a snail factory. Keep a small tank with some dried leaves (and live plants if you have some to spare) with no fish, and put a bunch of hermaphroditic or adult snails in there. They will produce food for your assassin at a prolific rate. Ramshorn snails would be ideal. MTS are a bit too good at hiding, but a determined assassin snail will figure out a way in. Yes, you actually need snails now that you've gotten rid of them, the irony!

Last edited by babystarz; 08-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #5 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
This happened with my assassin too XD If you want to keep yours, you'll need to create a snail factory. Keep a small tank with some dried leaves (and live plants if you have some to spare) with no fish, and put a bunch of hermaphroditic or adult snails in there. They will produce food for your assassin at a prolific rate. Ramshorn snails would be ideal. MTS are a bit too good at hiding, but a determined assassin snail will figure out a way in. Yes, you actually need snails now that you've gotten rid of them, the irony!
This would be a good idea tbh if you want your assassin snails to keep living.

If you want some snails just buy some live plants from a chain pet store, they're usually infested with snail eggs and snails themselves. Drop them into the bucket like babystarz said and you'll have snails in no time.

I think that's what some people do to feed their pea puffers since those guys only eat snails, they have to maintain their sharp teeth.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #6 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
I think that's what some people do to feed their pea puffers since those guys only eat snails, they have to maintain their sharp teeth.
This actually is how I know about this concept, I very seriously considered getting some pea puffers a while ago. Cute little buggers. But yes, it's a very effective method for getting lots and lots of snails. As long as the water is decently hard the snails will breed like rabbits and grow fast.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Don't assassins eat detritus, too? Detritus is found everywhere in the tank, that's what they're eating from the tank walls and there doesn't seem to be anything there.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #8 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Don't assassins eat detritus, too? Detritus is found everywhere in the tank, that's what they're eating from the tank walls and there doesn't seem to be anything there.
Yes they do, but if they have access to no snails to eat at all they tend to hibernate a lot and eventually die, at least in my experience.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

I see. Thank you, you learn something new everyday. (:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #10 
LouiMon

Okay, thanks everyone. For now I think I'll pester my LFS for some of their pest snails. They'd probably give them away, right?

I put them in a cup with some betta pellets to tide them over.

I'll look into the snail factory idea some more.

My intentions when getting the assassins was to get rid of the pond snails so I didn't have to keep killing them, but if I get rid of my assassins now, the ponds will just come back.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote