Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #1 
onekatietwo

Tank Set up Suggestions?

Sooooo. I posted on craigslist looking for a large aquarium because I want to start keeping goldfish. I got a response for a 55 gallon with everything (and some SUPER cool decorations. :p)

And shortly afterwards, somebody offered me a 30 gallon for free that comes with two large goldfish and a large koi fish. Since 30 gallons is WAAAAAY too small for a Koi, I think I';ll take them up on the offer, keep them in the 30 gallon until I can get the 55, then move all the goldfish into the 55 (and maybe look into finding somebody with a pond for the koi...) and here is where we get to the part about the Betta.

So my betta is in a five gallon with three shrimp right now aaaaaaannddd I think I'll have an extra 30 gallon tank sitting around. I was thinking about offering it to the people who said they would give it to me for free so they could just sell it or something, but they live kind of far away so I might not do that.

And, well, I'm sure my betta would LOOOOOOVE to move into a 30 gallon tank, but 30 gallons for a Betta and three shrimp kind of seems like overkill.

Any of you have any suggestions on what I could do with my betta and 30 gallons? Will the rather large (for a betta) size open up some options that aren't typically ok for a betta?

And could I get a small pleco? I've really wanted one since I got back into the whole aquarium thing. I would put one with the goldfish in the 55, but I don't think there are any cold water plecos...
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #2 
doggyhog

I don't really know about Plecos or anything like that. But, I do know that you could EASILY divid that 30 gallon, and get two more bettas. They would each have ten gallons. There is a DIY tank divider post somewhere on here.

Good Luck!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #3 
aquakid

Hard to say
aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #4 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I don't really know about Plecos or anything like that. But, I do know that you could EASILY divid that 30 gallon, and get two more bettas. They would each have ten gallons. There is a DIY tank divider post somewhere on here.

Good Luck!!
I haven't liked the idea of messing with dividers. Not really so much out of convenience, but out of appearances, I guess. It just doesn't seem as... I don't know. Nice. And flowly.
Haha. But I am diggin' my Betta's. Maybe I'll end up doing that anyway. Or, I could just keep the betta in the 5 gallon tank and get smaller goldfish for the 30.

The smart thing to do would be to get rid of the 30 asap so I don't have an other aquarium to take care of. haha.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #5 
veganchick

clown or bristlenose pleco would work, not common one tho. hmmmm a school of minnows (mae sure they are tropical) or tetras would be ok, I really think some cories would go awesome with a betta and shrimp
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #6 
IonBaller07

Yah you could put your betta in there and get some other fish like a large school of neon tetras, I as going to put mine in the 10g like 8 of them but I got anther betta instead...ahh Im addicted.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #7 
veganchick

Ionballer, 8 neons and a betta in a ten gallon??? thats quite a bioload!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

my betta has killed 2 fish so far, I don't reccomend other fish being housed with bettas.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #9 
IonBaller07

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
Ionballer, 8 neons and a betta in a ten gallon??? thats quite a bioload!
Lol, no, I was deciding BETWEEN a betta in the 10g or like 6-8 neons. And I chose the betta.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good choice. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote