Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1 
Shannonigans

Exclamation Best way to clean tank after fish dies

Hey guys! So my fish of three days died at some point after 7:00 this morning... I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with him (I'm thinking possible fin rot and a fungal infection) but I noticed some white fuzz this morning and a white looking film on his deceased body when I got home around 1:15 this morning.

I have dumped and rinse everything in hot tap water but want to take extra cautionary measures especially because I really would like to go get another fish tonight if possible....

What is the easiest and most effective method to cleaning the tank?

I have a one gallon acrylic tank, two fake plants (not sharp I checked them!), and marbles for the bottom.

Here's a link to my tank
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Thanks!
Shannonigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #2 
babystarz

I would throw away the tank, the fish could have had anything and some diseases can't be killed unless you use bleach (which leaves toxic residue in the plastic that will kill any new fish). A 1 gallon tank also isn't a great habitat for an adult betta.

Invest in a nice rectangular glass 5 gallon tank. Those CAN be bleached. The key is to rinse them thoroughly at least 20 times after cleaning and leave them in the sun for 24 hours to break down any remaining bleach. If you buy one during Petco's dollar per gallon sale, you'll spend $10 on the tank and maybe another $15 on a lid.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's nice to have babystarz back on the forum with her accurate and sensible advice. I agree with all of that.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #4 
KaraMc

I threw away all of my plants and gravel, bc I didn't feel like I could disinfect them enough. But I kept my bridge decor and heater, and tank and just
soaked it in a 10% bleach mixture. And then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed probably like 100 times with very hot water. I didn't leave my stuff out in the sun, but that's a good recommendation. Also, boiling would be another option for certain items.
KaraMc is offline   Reply With Quote