Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

It could just be she got a fright or she's never seen one before. Our dog Nike gets wigged out about the weirdest things. Today on our walk it was a suspicious tree stump.

I would assume if you just give her treats when you get the camera out and get her to associate positive things with the camera being used/around her she will get over it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with your last question. Our dogs really don't pee heaps when they are outside. They go usually once when they are let out and then they just mosey around the yard for a while, come back inside and then get let out when they need to go again.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Well, I mean what causes a dog to think they HAVE to hold their bladder until the absolute last moment. She is given unlimited water, which means her bladder's gotta be a horse bladder lol. No blood, no thick grossness of it either... Just... Lots of pee. Poor thing tried so hard to hold it in, there were a few dribbles on the blanket but she did VERY good VERY hard not to pee inside (which is amazing).

But she won't go otherwise? Not unless she HAS to? I don't understand why.

As for "treat when the camera is out" that is how I was trying to get her to sit still She just... Won't do it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #13 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezu View Post
why would you make someone sign a spay contract? why arent you going to spay her yourself? there are a lot of programs for affordable spay/neuter. every animal should be spayed/neutered. it is the responsible thing to do.
Exactly. I really have to shake my head at some of the dog and cat posts on this board. Everyone takes meticulous responsible care of their fish but it is often a different story for the larger pets. I don't get it.

There is a place where people can adopt pets that have already been spayed/neutered/vet checked, it's called an animal shelter. Most are really good places that care about the animals they adopt out.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #14 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Well, I mean what causes a dog to think they HAVE to hold their bladder until the absolute last moment. She is given unlimited water, which means her bladder's gotta be a horse bladder lol. No blood, no thick grossness of it either... Just... Lots of pee. Poor thing tried so hard to hold it in, there were a few dribbles on the blanket but she did VERY good VERY hard not to pee inside (which is amazing).

But she won't go otherwise? Not unless she HAS to? I don't understand why.

As for "treat when the camera is out" that is how I was trying to get her to sit still She just... Won't do it.
I would have a vet look at her to rule out bladder problems.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Um, because IF I CANNOT KEEP HER to the timeframe where she IS spayed (months from now after all shots are taken care of), I don't want her bred. I tried to ignore that first post, but if others are going to agree lets address it.

OR would you all rather I tell them "meh breed her all you want!" Great idea. Next time I just won't post good news, or "cautious back up "just in case sh$% flies out the window plans". Because obviously, "they aren't good enough". Too bad. You do not know me, you do not know my situation, you do not know how hard I am trying to integrate this dog into this family, or how this dog really acts in person VS "over the internet". I'm getting VERY tired of these kinds of posts.

And there IS NO AFFORDABLE PLANS THANKS TO DIRTWADS. it is 190 shots, 170 other shots, 350 spay and chip.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I agree maybe just get a vet to make sure that she doesn't have an infection or something that could be causing pain when she urinates.

Otherwise could be someone did a bad job of toilet training her and has given her some anxiety about going to the toilet.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #17 
RussellTheShihTzu

As a retired behaviorist/trainer and German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue chair for TN/AL/KY, I'd like to add a few things I learned along the way.

1. Never, ever, under any circumstances use the phrase "Bad Dog!" That implies the dog understands what "bad" means. They don't; they might look guilty but it's because they read your body language and vocal tones. Plus, it's negative.

2. Breast cancer chances increase with each season. Prostate cancer chances increase when males are left intact. So I recommended clients spay bitches at one year or after first heat; whichever came first. Neuter males at one-to-two years unless marking, aggression or unwanted sexual behavior occurred. If she were mine, I'd have her spayed and tell anyone who might want her there's no cost but you do need to be reimbursed for the spaying. Never trust anyone to honor a contract. Not everyone is as diligent as you are. And not everyone even recognizes when a bitch is in season. *This was written before 15 but appeared after. Maybe the shelter would give you a paper like they do people who adopt from them (at least in TN they do). *

3. Rescue dogs don't know their names. So I used cheese or hot dog pieces. I'd make a quiet noise and when they looked I'd say their new name simultaneously with giving them the the cheese or hot dog. Biscuits are for treats for doing nothing and for sit, down, etc. But hot dogs and cheese are for name recognition and coming when called. Only say their name once or you'll have a dog like my late girl who thought her name was "Hannah Hannah." My dogs don't know the word "come." They come on their names. "Come" is just one more command we teach them to disobey. Associating their name with special treats makes them much more reliable. Oh, you can use a squeaky to get their attention and then say their name. This gives you two ways to call them/get their attention. You *must* make learning their name a lesson.

After they turn on their name, walk a few steps, say name and reward. Do this for three days and then randomly replace food with "good dog." But always have the food in your hand. This is where most people train their dogs to only do actions for treats: They suddenly stop the treats; they must be gradually weaned off them. According to most studies, it takes approximately three weeks for a dog to have a behavior permanently embedded.

4. If they don't listen, never raise your voice. Either go to them or tap them on the shoulder to get their attention. This works with name recognition, too.

5. If they're afraid of something (like the grate), stand still and let them flop around like a fish until they tire. Hold your arm still; let them, not your arm, flop. Don't say anything. Just stand there. When they stop flopping, move a foot. Stop. Still not saying anything. If they run past you to get away from the "monster in their mind," stand there. When they stop, move forward. The key is silence when a dog is afraid. If you don't acknowledge the "monster," eventually they won't, either.

Dogs only learn what we teach them; good or bad. You are so smart to not yell. All that does is teach them you don't mean something until you yell. My belief is dogs do what you expect them to do. If you expect them to lack respect for you and what's yours, they will. Obviously you're not letting that happen. She will wind up a great dog and she's lucky to have you guiding her.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 08-04-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: *Clarification*
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
5. If they're afraid of something (like the grate), stand still and let them flop around like a fish until they tire. Hold your arm still; let them, not your arm, flop. Don't say anything. Just stand there. When they stop flopping, move a foot. Stop. Still not saying anything. If they run past you to get away from the "monster in their mind," stand there. When they stop, move forward. The key is silence when a dog is afraid. If you don't acknowledge the "monster," eventually they won't, either.
I did that!! She really puts up a fight. I'm going to keep doing it until she learns it won't hurt her. Maybe she fell in as a pup? Got a foot stuck? Either way... I'd be scared too.

I notice she listens when you walk directly towards her. YOU MUST BE FACING HER for her to listen. Usually, you avoid being in an "aggressive" stance.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #19 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post

And there IS NO AFFORDABLE PLANS THANKS TO DIRTWADS. it is 190 shots, 170 other shots, 350 spay and chip.
Yes, it is expensive to own pets, no matter where we live. Spaying is not something a dog can do without, especially if there is a possibility of it going to yet another home.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

I know that. Hence the "contract" to ensure she is not going to be bred, and will receive that NEED (a year's time is more than plenty). IF in case we do not get to it.

We used to have an affordable plan... But... Too many people didn't pay. So... We lost that lovely chance. Thanks to some terrible pet owners. I'm also shopping around to which places are cheaper (all are about the same) and the best vet, who I can call MY pet's vet, rather than having ten strangers Not easy... One clinic would probably make PETA proud We avoid them...

I have a backup plan because only a moron doesn't think ahead, or think of "what if's" and "just in cases". I tried the "go with the flow" bull onceuponatime, doesn't work. Actually set me back further than I have ever wanted to be.