Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #21 
registereduser

Where I live there are several places and organizations that will either help pay or spay for free but it is pretty much kept quiet because local vets get mad at the cheaper or free vet services. They think they will be put out of business. People here have to do a lot of calling around and asking questions, internet searches, networking. The help is out there!

I know your heart is in the right place about the contract but how can you enforce it? People lie all the time.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #22 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I had a client who hired me because his Dalmatian was afraid of fire hydrants.

When you drop something behind her, does she react? I'd get a squeaky and use it to get her attention instead of vocal cues. Apparently someone has taught her to ignore people. That's what's so frustrating about rescues: You don't know their backgrounds. That's why I relied so heavily on squeakers and hot dogs or cheese when retraining an older, unknown dog. I rehomed close to 100 in 25 years.

I'd do like LBF said with the camera and associate treats (biscuits this time). Oh! I forgot, you can put rice cakes in a bag with a hot dog or cheese and put in fridge. They will pick up the scent and you have cheap treats. Plus, they are so low in calories they won't cause a dog to gain weight (I know that's not a problem with her).

All my bitches pee just once when they go outside. You could bell train her (Russell's bell trained):

1. Put bell on a long string or piece of leather.
2. Tap bell to dog's nose and simultaneously say "Outside."
3. Let them out.

Never push dog's head toward the bell. It didn't take Russell long to figure it out and he's a boy....and a Shih Tzu!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

It's better than not doing it at all. TRYING is better than NOT DOING ANYTHING. In my own personal set opinion, that is.

And she would not be "given away" either. I know more than enough people in my area, who have farms or large fenced yards, who would like a dog or another dog. Here we can't give away anymore.... They screened me to make sure I was not a dog fighter! And fully understanding and willing, I did not mind. To some people it would seem rude, but they obviously never felt the nagging thought or horrors of losing a pet to such a practice.

Here we have three vets: One "we could care less but whatever we'll do it" vet clinic. The "we love your pets and care for them!" clinic, and then the dreaded evil clinic... Who we swear has a "wheel of bad fortune" they spin with these choices: euthanasia, euthanasia, euthanasia, spay/neuter, rabies shot, euthanasia, sell bad food, euthanasia. And he also hates spaying and neutering. Thinks they should just be put down. He literally could be a part of PETA... Blech.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #24 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I just thought of something: You could have the person pay the vet to have her spayed and you could "volunteer" to take her to the vet and keep her until the stitches come out. That way you know she's been spayed and she received the best aftercare. Just a thought.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 08-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

When you drop something behind her, does she react? Something falls she is surprised then investigates.

I'd get a squeaky and use it to get her attention instead of vocal cues. I haven't used any vocal cues since a couple days ago. She doesn't recognize her name anyways, and I've associated known words with movement (hand up, hand infront, hand above, hand down, etc).

I'd do like LBF said with the camera and associate treats (biscuits this time). Oh! I forgot, you can put rice cakes in a bag with a hot dog or cheese and put in fridge. They will pick up the scent and you have cheap treats. Plus, they are so low in calories they won't cause a dog to gain weight (I know that's not a problem with her). She will see the treat, knows she will get it, but the second the camera is facing her (she will go up and sniff it) she acts like it's a gun or something and cringes between my legs. x.x

Quote:
I just thought of something: You could have the person pay the vet to have her spayed and you could "volunteer" to take her to the vet and keep her until the stitches come out. That way you know she's been spayed and she received the best aftercare. Just a thought.
You know what.. That is a good idea. "If you pay for her spaying (or even half?), I'll take her in and she's all yours." If she has to be rehomed... I want her to have a large yard with a good tall fence... Maybe a dog friend who is her size or bigger, and kids!!! She is AMAZING with children.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Hot dogs, kabana and twiggys are really high value treats for our dogs. Some dogs do just have very poor focus/attention spans.

My dog Nike has what I call the 'Nike Zone' where she completely becomes fixated on something and you may as well be peeing into the wind trying to get her to focus on you.

Best thing I have found is to anticipate the sorts of things that cause the above and prevent it from happening rather than trying to correct it while it is happening.

There is one training technique I have seen on Youtube called 'LAT' or Look At That. I was going to try teaching it to Nike as it seems good for reactive/excitable dogs.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #27 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

"What's the problem," was big in my vocabulary. Or, "Are you kidding me? You're afraid of that?" They don't understand the words but they understand the tone.

You could also have someone else take the picture while you pet her or you could take the photo while they're petting her. They can be afraid of the darndest things, can't they?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

"LAT"? Never heard of it!

I purposely make her do some things, where I have her calmed down (mental and physical "walk" lol) such as walking by the other VERY excitable dog. She did very good, as I gave the leash a firm (not choking!) snap, and she focused back on me.

I also notice she will not look me in the eye. Only men. Not females! Listens to Scott 98% of the time, me 65% of the time. Since I'm the one who mainly cares for her, and I am NOT lower than she is, she has to learn to listen to me anyways

I use a gester and move towards her to get her to move back if she is crowding the door. Then closed hand, means she sits, which she does. One finger up "wait", and she stays. She knows what she can do, and I know what she can do...

OH YEAH we had a run in with little kitty. Brought the dog in from the pee break, kitten was sitting about 5 feet away. She puffed up in surprise, the dog looked equally surprised But did not lunge, tense, etc.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #29 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Old obedience training technique: Take the food, put it close to her nose and bring it slowly up to your face. When she looks at you, she gets the treat. Some people would say "Watch Me." I said "Hey, you." While she looks at you (i.e., the food), quietly praise for about 10 seconds before she gets the treat.

She must have had a weak or no female owner.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Well I know for a fact the previous people... He has a pregnant wife, so she can't do much (she is pretty far along). Which did not help it just reinforced it.

Haha "hey you!" That's a funny one. Mom does "watch me" for both of their dogs.