Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #31 
LittleBettaFish

We have a 'Watch' command that our dogs (are supposed to) know.

Some dogs also just don't like looking people in the eye as I assume they find it intimidating/dominating/threatening. Our dog Ares hates looking my mum in the eye because he knows he is going to have to do something if he does.

The LAT I believe is designed to keep the dog within threshold so that they are capable of learning. Once you go past that threshold the levels of excitement/fear/aggression mean that no learning is going to be taking place.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #32 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, I'll look it up. My dad's dog will look "at" you, but not into your eyes. I don't mind it, I've met dogs who stare me right back down (I will still win because I lack the fear of being bitten. They have my arm in their mouth, it gets to stay there until they realize I don't care I dealt with a beagle like that.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #33 
RussellTheShihTzu

I competed in and taught obedience for donkey's years. I got so tired of hearing "Watch me!" I could have spit. Especially since most of the dogs didn't.

Now, my German Shepherd, Seger, knew "Watch 'Em!" Seger was a big, intimidating boy with the personality of a puppy. To train him, I would hand a friend a cookie and as they held it face high, I would say "Watch 'em, Seger!" and he would watch. Of course, all strangers saw when I said "Watch 'em!" was a GSD coming to attention, ears erect, eyes alert, staring them in the face and posture intimidating.....never knowing he wasn't about to attack; but was anticipating they had treats for him. LOL
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #34 
LittleBettaFish

Ares is so funny. When he does obedience with my mum he never looks at her. He deliberately turns his head in the opposite direction.

He hates obedience though. He gets bored and his returns off lead make it look like we beat him to a pulp every night.

What I wouldn't give for an enthusiastic dog haha.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #35 
Sena Hansler

Lol!

Well, as stated before she had a collar months ago... Name, no number, no address. As a "just in case" as she was probably missing for... 3-6 months now, I've posted in a few places nearby (4 hours distance) with just her name... But they have to prove they own her of course. With an unusual name (Getti) either someone knows, or no one cares.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #36 
LittleBettaFish

Has she been checked for a microchip?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #37 
Sena Hansler

Not yet. She will be, but I doubt she has one due to the fact spaying/chipping is the most common as it is cheaper that route than chipping by itself (and the dog does not even know it happened ;p)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #38 
Skyewillow

It sounds like you're already making some sort of headway with her, Sena. I believe that if you're dedicated to teaching her, she will learn. Think of it as practice for your future munchkin's terrible twos, and teen years. XD

I hate to say it (mostly because people think I'm nuts) but in my experience, raising a younger child is like raising a dog. Repetition! (Only the dog was easier to teach to stay out of things she's not supposed to get into)

My dog only averts her gaze when I'm eating. I don't like being stared at when I'm trying to eat something... if she keeps her eyes averted, I'll "accidentally" drop something after I'm done, like a small piece of chicken or beef.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #39 
Sena Hansler

Lol! Well she has to get along with the cat. That's my main concern! No eating kitties :)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #40 
Polkadot

She is a beautiful looking dog and sounds like she is learning fast and settling in,she sounds like she will be a wonderful friend.Dogs are very special and definitely deserve a forever home.My dogs don't like the camera either,especially Ned & Maggie,they will run over and jump at it,lol.I have to take their photos quickly.Alot of dog's don't like looking people straight in the eyes as it is a dominant type thing in the dog world.Some don't mind it though,probably as she gets to know you more and gets more comfortable she won't mind.I hope you can get her desexed,as mentioned already,there are alot of animal organisations around that have lowered fees as it is so important.Here in Australia the animal shelters do not sell dogs/puppies and cats/kittens before they are desexed,health checked,vaccinated and microchipped,which is very good.

P.S. What is her name?
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote