Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #71 
darkangel

you just wrap a bandana around the dog, its super popular around my town. here is a link: http://www.dfordog.co.uk/union-jack-dog-bandana.html

btw you have your PM turned off, did you see my post in the classified section? :)
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #72 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I realized that I reactivated it lol! No I didn't see the post
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #73 
RussellTheShihTzu

Better late than never.

You place the Halti and then feed bits of treats to help them get used to it. They work extremely well for dogs that pull.

Or, you could use an old Field Trial trick and half-hitch. Leash goes from collar to under belly where you half hitch. You're actually controlling from the rear end. I've seen two-year-olds walk large dogs with this method.

Here's a YouTube that shows how it's done. Very effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TszV_3y3Qcw
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #74 
Sena Hansler

Uh... No. Not doing the half hitch. I already know she will try to flail, and in turn hurt herself, or shut down completely.

Since technically the collar slips down to where all the muscle in a dog's neck is, it is less effective to train a dog who pulls with just "any collar". The illusion collar, helps with controlling the dog because it can't slip down. The halti, and/or this collar I know works. And one store here sells both =D She does not have breathing problems (until she chokes herself by frantically trying to go after a dog, see a person, or flailing ), nor any of the "don't use on" breeds. I'm going to give both a try.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #75 
RussellTheShihTzu

If those don't work, the trick to the half-hitch is to put it on the dog and let them get used to it without moving. Then, with it loose, hold food and let the dog do the walking.

This was an effective way for clients with shoulder injuries to walk their dogs without resorting to pinch collars....which don't bother me. Used them frequently.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #76 
Sena Hansler

Meh never saw a dog who listened to a pinch collar anymore than a regular one People also have issues with shock collars. The actual new ones you do pay a decent price for... They don't fry the dog If used properly, and not some "over seas" one, it won't do harm. I never had a use for those things though.

Actually come to think of it... I have never heard her bark. Not at a person, dog, me, nothing. o_O
Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #77 
RussellTheShihTzu

Many a Giant Breed I helped was trained on a small pinch despite the naysayers. If you size them right, they listen. The trick is to buy the small size and add links. Those medium+ sizes are useless and hanging them low on the neck rends them useless, too. You put them high on the neck behind the ears in that little dip. Never saw a dog that didn't respond to that.

I forgot to say for those who might be interested: Had my elementary and AKC Novice obedience students use the half-hitch to teach the "stand;" my Utility obedience students used it for the "moving stand" exercise, my confomation students used it to teach stacking and baiting and Gary and I use it to teach "whoa."

Never used a shock collar except in the field when a bird dog decided he or she wanted to be a deer or rabbit... or worse, a skunk... dog.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #78 
Sena Hansler

Have a picture I will add soon. Was teaching her to leave the cat food alone (I know. Endless battle. But I did not say she could have it, did I?) and then comes in kitty who wants to eat her food. So got the two "leave its" and the dog there in one picture LOL

What breeds have white tipped tails? Looks like kids cut her tail, because white grew in... Almost a skunk stripe at the tip LOL. And it's very stark white for a tan/black gal.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #79 
Sena Hansler

The cat made it more of a pain to teach "leave it". Because then she had her two fav things under her nose... Delicious food, and delic- err, furry kitty.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #80 
RussellTheShihTzu

You mean cut tail or cut the hair on the tail? Scarring causes white hair to come in on dark dogs; dark hair comes in on light dogs. Which is why show people get their dogs' vacs on the right (non-judging side) instead of the left. I know, more useless information.