Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #11 
newbetta2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyfyshshelley View Post
New betta, I have a fluval view and the light is separate from the filter. You should be able to run them independently. You can't have the light on with the top off, however. I have a plakat in mine and he seems to like it. I decorated with a Buddha, white gravel and stones, moss balls, and fake bamboo. I'll post a pic later.

Oh, if you want live plants, I had an anubius and a java fern in mine a long time and they did fine with the lighting.
Thanks percyfyshshelley-

Yes, if you've figured out a way to have the light on with no filter, please let me know. I bought the tank without a box or instructions and searching online was no help.

Also, what heater are you using? Do you have it in the back filter area?

Thanks!
newbetta2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #12 
percyfyshshelley

New betta, well, there should be a switch on the back part of the lid that controls the light. I will try to get a pix. I use the Hagen elite mini 25watt submersible heater and it fits right in the back and has worked great so far.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #13 
percyfyshshelley

Sorry for the double post.. I just went and looked st my view and I see what you mean. You can have the light OFF and the filter on, but you cant have the light ON and the filter off. The Chi is like that too. Kind of annoying. you can baffle it pretty well though.
Well, here's some pix of my view, anyway.

Baffling.

Lord Granthum.

The bamboo is fake.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #14 
newbetta2013

Cool!!! Your tank looks great!
Thank you SO MUCH for the photos!! What purpose does the rubber band serve?

I *just* got back from buying filters and the sponges. Do you have sponges just at the top output holes or do you have the bottom intake blocked up some also?

Do I need to "prime" the filters before I put them in at all? (sorry- I'm totally new at this) Or are they ok to just put the filters in and turn it on?

Again, I truly thank you for helping me out!! (Oh what temp are you keeping your tank at?)
Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #15 
percyfyshshelley

Thanks!

I did put some sponge material at the bottom intake as well--not too much just a little so the intake wouldn't be too strong. Lord Granthum doesn't seem to go near it anyway. They seem to like to hang out by the filter intake more when it's at the top.

The rubber band holds some sponges that I have to slow the outflow.

Not very pretty but you can't really see it when the lid is on.

As far as priming, you should have the back chamber all filled up with water before you turn on the filter. Other than that, you should be fine.

I keep the heater at 80. It doesn't have a thermostat, but there is a dial to adjust up or down, so I have to play eith it a bit and monitor with a thermometer, but it seems to hold the temp pretty well.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #16 
newbetta2013

WOW! I cannot even tell you how much I appreciate this!! Seriously!

Ok- I've got some work to do tonight........
I'd take a photo after but Stella's domicile isn't too exciting yet.

Geez, I never realized how much personality fish can have. This little thing LOVES people! If we go up to the tank to talk to her she gets all excited and comes right up to our faces like she's trying to talk. It's pretty funny. I was thinking it was in anticitaption of food even if it wasn't feeding time but she does a different dance for feeding. She's pretty neat.

How often do you change the filters?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #17 
percyfyshshelley

Well glad I can help! I'm pretty new to bettas myself but I've got about 12 tanks and I love trying out all the different nano tanks. Which kinda gets expensive but let's not talk about that. I like the view a lot, although its a bit tall it's also long and I think it's suitable for many types of bettas. It all depends on the individual fish. I had a betta hammock so that Lord Grathum would have a resting place up high but he never used it. I may put it back just in case he changes his mind lol.
I have had the view about 7 months and I have yet to change the filters. I rinse them in aquarium water (not untreated tap water) during water changes and that's it. You want to keep the good bacteria in there. When they do need to be changed you change change them one at a time, since there are two. Plus I've stuffed more sponge in there as you can see.
Yes, bettas have quite ther personalities! They are so friendly and curious. Can't wait to see a pix of Stella!